Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Molecular weight

Hello,

In excel how do i work out how much 1 mol of water weighs?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Roger,

I'm not aware of any inbuilt function but setting up manual calculation is
simple enough.

For water we need the molecular weights of the elements and there are plenty
of tables on the net for this including this one:-

http://hamers.chem.wisc.edu/chapman/Other/chem.html

Water is 2 part H and 1 part O so enter the molecular weight for each in a
cell and add them up:

2*H = 2*
1*O = 15.9994

so A1=1.00794
A2= 1.00794
A3= 15.995
A4=sum(a1:a3) =18.01528
So 1 mol of water equals 18.01528 gms

Mike

"Roger" wrote:

Hello,

In excel how do i work out how much 1 mol of water weighs?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Roger wrote on Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:15:02 -0700:

R "Mike H" wrote:

?? Roger,
??
[...]
?? "Roger" wrote:
??
?? Hello,
??
?? In excel how do i work out how much 1 mol of water
?? weighs?
??

I think there is typo here and what is wanted is a mole, ie
gram molecular weight or molecular weight in grams.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You may get more detail in a chemistry formula but here goes:-

A mole is 6.022 * 10^23 which is the number of carbon atoms in 12 grammes of
Carbon 12. So 1 mole of anything is 6.022 * 10^23 entities and an entity is
simply what you happen to be measuring (atoms, molecules or ships).

So 1 mole of a substance is the amount of that substance that contains 6.022
* 10^23 entities and the the case of water and as derived from the atomic
weight it is 18 and a bit grammes.

For more info do a Google on Avagadro's number.

Mike