Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Svi Svi is offline

Default Standard deviation

I have a datasheet with data of more than 30 people. I want to calculate the
standard deviation, but the Help function of Excel tells me that Stdev is
used for a group of max 30 persons. What function should I use to calculate
the standard deviation for a group of more than 30 people?

J.A. van Iwaarden
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

What help means is that you can only pass 30 arguments to stdev for example:-

=stdev(a1,a2,a3-------A30) is OK
=stdev(a1,a2,a3-------A50) isn't OK
but this

=STDEV(A1:A100)

calculates the standard deviation for 100 cells and only counts as a single
argument.

Mike

"Svi" wrote:

I have a datasheet with data of more than 30 people. I want to calculate the
standard deviation, but the Help function of Excel tells me that Stdev is
used for a group of max 30 persons. What function should I use to calculate
the standard deviation for a group of more than 30 people?

J.A. van Iwaarden

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have good news for you!

The limit of 30 only refers to the number of individual arguments.
Something like:

=STDEV(A1:A500) will work just fine.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200749

"Svi" wrote:

I have a datasheet with data of more than 30 people. I want to calculate the
standard deviation, but the Help function of Excel tells me that Stdev is
used for a group of max 30 persons. What function should I use to calculate
the standard deviation for a group of more than 30 people?

J.A. van Iwaarden

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

The limitation of 30, is to 30 sets of data, not 30 individuals.
Supposing you have numbers in A1:A50
=STD(A1:A50) will produce the standard deviation of those 50 values.

You could have =STD(A1:A50,B20:B90,C10, etc ....)
The 30 refers to the number of entries between the commas.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Svi" wrote in message
I have a datasheet with data of more than 30 people. I want to calculate
the
standard deviation, but the Help function of Excel tells me that Stdev is
used for a group of max 30 persons. What function should I use to
calculate
the standard deviation for a group of more than 30 people?

J.A. van Iwaarden

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Svi Svi is offline

OK. That's clear.