Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel If Then Question

Hello. I need help with If/Then in Excel. What is the way to signify
anything being typed as the qualifier? What I mean is,
=IF(a2=ANYTHING,"yes","no"), what is the syntax for ANYTHING, that is,
any character at all that is typed will return a "yes". I hope that
makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 12, 7:42 am, "
wrote:
Hello. I need help with If/Then in Excel. What is the way to
signify anything being typed as the qualifier? What I mean is,
=IF(a2=ANYTHING,"yes","no"), what is the syntax for
ANYTHING, that is, any character at all that is typed will return
a "yes". I hope that makes sense.

Not precisely. Does the following meet your requirements:

=if(isblank(A2), "no", "yes")

If ISBLANK() is not exactly what you want, look at the "IS" help page
and read about ISNUMBER(), ISTEXT() and others.

HTH.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try
=IF(A2<"","yes","no")
you'll get yes for anything other than an empty string.

" wrote:

Hello. I need help with If/Then in Excel. What is the way to signify
anything being typed as the qualifier? What I mean is,
=IF(a2=ANYTHING,"yes","no"), what is the syntax for ANYTHING, that is,
any character at all that is typed will return a "yes". I hope that
makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

" wrote:
Hello. I need help with If/Then in Excel. What is the way to signify
anything being typed as the qualifier? What I mean is,
=IF(a2=ANYTHING,"yes","no"), what is the syntax for ANYTHING, that is,
any character at all that is typed will return a "yes". I hope that
makes sense. Any help is appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Excellent. That works. Thank you all for your input.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

" wrote:
Hello. I need help with If/Then in Excel. What is the way to signify
anything being typed as the qualifier? What I mean is,
=IF(a2=ANYTHING,"yes","no"), what is the syntax for ANYTHING, that is,
any character at all that is typed will return a "yes". I hope that
makes sense. Any help is appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Excellent. That works. Thank you all for your input.

Follow up question. When I make an entry into A1, then B1 populates
with date/time stamp, which is what I want. However, when I make an
entry into A2, then B2 puts in a date/time stamp BUT it also changes
B1 to that date and time. How can I make it so that column B (and
subsequent columns) does not change with each new entry in column A?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can also look at it this way: =IF(A2="","no","yes") The formula does
the same thing as everyone else's formula, but you're keying on nothing
instead of something.

" wrote:

Hello. I need help with If/Then in Excel. What is the way to signify
anything being typed as the qualifier? What I mean is,
=IF(a2=ANYTHING,"yes","no"), what is the syntax for ANYTHING, that is,
any character at all that is typed will return a "yes". I hope that
makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1:A100")) Is Nothing Then
With Target
If .Value < "" Then
.Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Now, "dd mmm yyyy hh:mm:ss")
End If
End With
End If
ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This is worksheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code"

Copy/paste into that sheet module.

When an entry is made in A1:A100, B will get a fixed date/time which does not
change unless you edit an A cell.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP