Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding Incorrectly - off by 1 penny

Please try multiplying the following mileage by .4 to get the reimbursement
amount.

185.27
128.3
198.64
168.66
143.94

You should get the following:

$74.11
$51.32
$79.46
$67.46
$57.58

Next add up the sum of those amounts.

The sum should be $329.93 but Excel is giving me $329.92.

If I type in the amounts alone (without the caluculation) the sum is correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For seom reason my computer crashed half way through, in basic terms its a
rounding issue, the results of the multiplying by ".4" are rounded up/down,
if you display them to 3 decimal places you'll see that.

The sum function uses the entire number and not just the rounded version
displayed, hence why using calc and sum gives you two different answers.

Hope that Helps

Paul

"Paul Mugleston" wrote:

"Arlene" wrote:

Please try multiplying the following mileage by .4 to get the reimbursement
amount.

185.27
128.3
198.64
168.66
143.94

You should get the following:

$74.11
$51.32
$79.46
$67.46
$57.58

Next add up the sum of those amounts.

The sum should be $329.93 but Excel is giving me $329.92.

If I type in the amounts alone (without the caluculation) the sum is correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It has to do with the format you are displaying. For example,
185.27*0.4 = 74.108. With 2 decimals precision it will display as
74.11. The sum of your numbers multiplied by 0.4 is exactly 329.924

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Oct 11, 6:06 pm, Arlene wrote:
Please try multiplying the following mileage by .4 to get the reimbursement
amount.

185.27
128.3
198.64
168.66
143.94

You should get the following:

$74.11
$51.32
$79.46
$67.46
$57.58

Next add up the sum of those amounts.

The sum should be $329.93 but Excel is giving me $329.92.

If I type in the amounts alone (without the caluculation) the sum is correct.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Arlene" wrote in message
Please try multiplying the following mileage by .4 to get the
reimbursement
amount.

185.27
128.3
198.64
168.66
143.94

You should get the following:

$74.11
$51.32
$79.46
$67.46
$57.58

Next add up the sum of those amounts.

The sum should be $329.93 but Excel is giving me $329.92.

If I type in the amounts alone (without the caluculation) the sum is
correct.

Others have told you why this happens, but not what to do about it. You need
to round each of your mileage calculations.
For 185.27 in A1 and 0.4 in B1 you would use
=ROUND(A1*B1,2)