Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul Mugleston[_2_] Paul Mugleston[_2_] is offline

Default Adding Incorrectly - off by 1 penny

For seom reason my computer crashed half way through, in basic terms its a
rounding issue, the results of the multiplying by ".4" are rounded up/down,
if you display them to 3 decimal places you'll see that.

The sum function uses the entire number and not just the rounded version
displayed, hence why using calc and sum gives you two different answers.

Hope that Helps

Paul

"Paul Mugleston" wrote:

"Arlene" wrote:

Please try multiplying the following mileage by .4 to get the reimbursement
amount.

185.27
128.3
198.64
168.66
143.94

You should get the following:

$74.11
$51.32
$79.46
$67.46
$57.58

Next add up the sum of those amounts.

The sum should be $329.93 but Excel is giving me $329.92.

If I type in the amounts alone (without the caluculation) the sum is correct.