Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula to locate a cell

I need to se if there is a formula to return a specific cell on a worksheet
but the worksheet name changes on occasion.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you assign the cell a range name you can refer to the cell by its name and
it won't matter what the worksheet name is.

Move the cell you want to reference and click INSERT on the menu, select
NAME from the drop-down menu and then DEFINE from the cascade menu. The
range name must start with a letter, it cannot have any spaces and the only
acceptable characters are the letters a to z, A to Z, or numbers or the
underscore.

By default range names are absolute references.

To use a named range in formula you can use the range name instead of the
cells addresses:

=SUM(MyNamedRange)
=A1*MyNamedRange
and so on...

--
Kevin Backmann

"jhyatt" wrote:

I need to se if there is a formula to return a specific cell on a worksheet
but the worksheet name changes on occasion.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say you wanted to see cell C1.

Enter the name of the worksheet in A1, and try this formula:

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!C1")

As you change the name in A1, you'll reference C1 in that particular sheet.
--
HTH,

RD