Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default join worksheets

I have multiple worksheets, in column A I have a unique identifier & in
column b I have # tied to that identifier that is different in each
worksheet. What I would like to would be to display in a new worksheet all
the identifiers (combine where they identifiers match in each work sheet) and
display in columns all the #.

Example: in worksheet 1 I have ID - #1
1234 - 5
2345 - 7
3456 - 8

In worksheet 2 I have ID - #2
1234 - 6
2345 - 10

In the new worksheet I would like to see: ID - #1 - #2
1234 - 5 - 6
2345 - 7 - 10
3456 - 8 - 0

This would be easy to do in SQL, but I haven't the slightest idea how to do
in excel
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use VLOOKUP formulas to get the approriate values from each sheet.
For example, in column B of your summary sheet enter:
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
This formula will bring back the matching value from sheet 2. You can
then simply change the formula as needed.
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet3!A:B,2,FALSE)
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet4!A:B,2,FALSE)
etc
Tom H wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 9, 10:21 am, Tom H <Tom wrote:
[...]

You could also:

1. Save each sheet as a .csv file, exit Excel and open a terminal
window
2. Join them using the DOS "COPY" command (copy *.csv newfile.csv)
3. Open newfile.csv in Excel
4. Sort and delete duplicate header lines
5. Pivot Table the data to get your final answer