Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Versions

Hi,

Hopefully this is a simple one:

Can you have more than two versions on Excel/Office on a computer? I have
just installed Excel 2007 and it seems to have wiped my Excel 9.

Thanks.

--
Sam H. Carson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sam,
Yes you can, I have four Excel versions installed. Some guidelines...
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

1. Install the oldest version first
2. Install each version in a separate folder.
3. If you want to keep your start menu shortcuts then rename them
before installing a newer version.
4. Do a custom install and do not overwrite/replace the older
versions. However...
5. Only one version of Outlook can be installed on a single
operating system.

6. You specify the default version of the application by
registering it using 'Start | Run'.
Enter the full file path and name of the program.
Note that /regserver is outside the quote marks...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver

The above registers Excel 97 as the default on most systems.
Change the file path / file name as appropriate.
If you don't register the application then the last version
installed becomes the default.

7. Do Not run multiple application versions at the same time.
Close one before opening the other.
8. MS knowledge base articles follow in no particular order:
290576 -
OffXP: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
218861 -
Off2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
214388 -
XL2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Excel
292584 -
OffXP: Setup Overwrites Start Menu Items from Earlier Versions of office
210391 -
Off2000: Setup May Remove Older Components

(Just in case)
233499 -
How To Change the Company Name and User Name After Setup
290528 -
HowTo: Change the Company Name and User Name in an Office XP Program
280546:
User Name And Company Name In Splash Screen Different From Names In "About" Dialog Box
'-------------------------

"Sam H. Carson"
wrote in message
Hi,
Hopefully this is a simple one:
Can you have more than two versions on Excel/Office on a computer? I have
just installed Excel 2007 and it seems to have wiped my Excel 9.
Thanks.
--
Sam H. Carson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please elaborate on Tip 7 (running only one version at a time)
I seem to be able to run XL2003 and XL2007 simultaneously.
Occasionally I have trouble closing one. Are there are complications?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
Hi,
Hopefully this is a simple one:
Can you have more than two versions on Excel/Office on a computer? I have
just installed Excel 2007 and it seems to have wiped my Excel 9.
Thanks.
--
Sam H. Carson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bernard,
That is a "more safe than sorry" warning.
I have avoided trying to find complications. <g
Sincerely,
Jim Cone

"Bernard Liengme"
wrote in message
Please elaborate on Tip 7 (running only one version at a time)
I seem to be able to run XL2003 and XL2007 simultaneously.
Occasionally I have trouble closing one. Are there are complications?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

Thanks, you have just solved a problem I have been working on for two days!

I owe you one.

Sam

--
Sam H. Carson