Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I span a record (or row of information) over more than one row

At the moment we store information on different shops in a central
spreadsheet, with one row for each shop. The information for each shop is
stored in one row. Eg the address, the size, the sale price, etc. Many of
them have more than one floor, and it would be great if we could store
information about them with a separate line for each floor. Eg there could be
300 square metres on the ground floor and the first floor has 200 square
metres, and each floor is worth a different amount, so having two or three
lines for each shop would be the best.

Is there a way to somehow specify how many rows a record is, and have it
still sorting by either the top row or a row that can be specified somehow?

Also, some information is stored in rows, (again, about a certain shop), but
the comments are quite lengthy and the the comments column gets too large to
look good in a report. Is there a way to have a merged comments column below
the main row that is the property information and have it sort with the main
row of the record?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I checked out the outlining functions. for some reason, though, even though
I group rows, once I sort them, eg in ascending order, the detail rows stay
together and the summary row gets sorted differently. The collapsable tree
stays in the same cell as it was before the sort.

According to the help files, there are not meant to be blank cells. My
spreadsheet has blank rows. Most records have one line but some have 2 or
more (depending on how many levels the building has). An example of the
layout is below.

Column A Column D Column E Column K Column Q
Column G

Primary Street Number Street Name Rental Amount Level
Rent per
Key
square m
1 114 William $100,000

2 55 Swanston $500,000
Ground $500

2
Level 1 $200

3 (as per record 1)

4

"Ragdyer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the example. It shows how the group and outline funtion works
really well. Something rather bizarre that I found was that in the example
when you sort for the first time, the groupings are in tact (eg sort
descending by column C). When you sort immediately after that (eg sort
ascending by column C) the groupings are ignored and values are sorted
normally.

So it doesn't seem to consistantly work, and in my main spreadsheet that i'm
trying to get the groupings working with i can't get the groups to sort
together at all.

Any futher suggestions would be welcomed, but thanks for the help so far
anyway.

"RagDyeR" wrote:

See if this old post can help:

http://tinyurl.com/2slevy