Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LT LT is offline

Default Form Information transfer to a specific record

Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may have to offer with my
issue here.

I'm a fairly advanced Excel user with intermediate VBA knowlegde as
well but for the life of me, I just cannot figure out how to get
information from an Excel form, into a specific place in a list of
records.

THE SETUP

I've taken the initiative of building a staff database of which we
have just reached over 1000 employees. The amount of information that
I will be collecting from each employee will be about 100 fields of
information (Hire date, Job role, title, Equipment Issued,
Certifications, Languages known etc).

The important factor in this build is that it will be accessed by at
least 4 different people, each of them responsible for filling out
certain "Pages" of information about an employee. I have a multi page
form that is used to breakdown the information into categories.

Work, Personal, Statistical Info, Referral Info, Resolution
Information.

A simple SCROLLBUTTON allows the person to navigate through all
employees OR they may enter an employee# and hit the FIND button which
will automatically update the form fields.

On each page, there are various controls to receive input about the
employee. For each multi page I have, there is also a seperate
worksheet to hold this information. Each sheet is controlled (by
various functions and formulas) to be identical, that is, if Employee
Bob Smith is on Row 27 of the Work page, then he will also be on Row
27 of all other sheets. (Keeping in mind that each sheet collects
similar information about the employee).

Each Sheet has Three Identical columns to match information on EVERY
sheet.

C = Record#
D= Employee #
F= Employee Name

(I left columns E & G blank in order to use the Select current region
VBA code)

Ideally, both Record# and Employee # will always match. If there is a
difference, then I know I have a data structure problem and soon to be
built in conditional formatting will tell me this in colors.

THE PROBLEM

I've successfully managed to code each control on every multipage to
retrieve and show ALL stored information from the various sheets it
collects the information from. I've set up the form so that when it
initiallizes, all controls are locked and all the user can do is VIEW
the collected employee information.

If a certain manager or data entry person wishes to change or update
an individual employee record, then they would click on a button that
is called "Edit Page Information" which will then change all locked
controls of that page to "False" and allow the user to edit the
information in the controls. (Various, mostly textboxes and
checkboxes).

Once they are done editing the information, they would then click the
"Update Page Information" button.

PROBLEM QUESTION: How do I take the information from the controls and
transfer that info to the proper row of the employee main database?

Example.

Employee # 567 has submitted an address change.

Data entry person opens up the Excel Database, then they open the
"Main Menu form" which has a button on it to launch to the multi page
form. They then choose the Personal page tab which contains the
current Address of the employee.

After entering in the New address, they would then hit the "Accept
Page Info" button which will then take that new information and place
it EXACTLY into the row of Employee # 567 and under the respective
columns.

End Example.

I'm stumped. I'm a self taught Excel fanatic that loves to fool
around with Excel and to push my knowledge to higher grounds. I've
surfed many a webpage in hoping to find some information of similar
content to give me some clues as to what to do, but I find myself
looking over previously read information from a few days ago.

Any ideas or leads you would have for me would be greatly
appreciated.

PS, I'm hoping this personal project of mine will get me a raise :)
Or at least employee of the month.

-LT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LT LT is offline

On Mar 6, 1:00 pm, "LT" wrote:
[...]

Well, I thought I'd go back and take one more look at trying to do
this and it seems I was able to solve my own problem!

I just sort of reversed the process I used to get the information!

Worksheets("Emp_Work_Info").Range("N" & spnEditEmp.Value + 7).Value =
txtLicense.Value

Viola!

Now I can help others that may be having this same problem! :)

CIAO all.

-LT