Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hyperling changing

Oh Wise Ones,
I have a weird problem that I have never
encountered before. I inserted a hyperlink and tested it, and it worked fine.
I saved the workbook. When I the workbook again, the hyperlink was altered
with % and numbers inserted. Needless to say the hyperlink was broken. I fix
it and it changes back. What is going on?

I entered this:
\My Documents\Rubloss Calculator.xls

and it turns into this:
/My%20Documents/Rubloss%20Calculator.xls

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

%20 is the code for a space.
Are you saying that the link now doesn't work? Are you sure that the
document is still there?
--
David Biddulph

"Mike K" wrote in message
Oh Wise Ones,
I have a weird problem that I have never
encountered before. I inserted a hyperlink and tested it, and it worked
fine.
I saved the workbook. When I the workbook again, the hyperlink was
altered
with % and numbers inserted. Needless to say the hyperlink was broken. I
fix
it and it changes back. What is going on?

I entered this:
\My Documents\Rubloss Calculator.xls

and it turns into this:
/My%20Documents/Rubloss%20Calculator.xls

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't use:
Insert Hyperlink...
instead something like:

=HYPERLINK("file:///c:\Documents and Settings\Book1.xls","book1")

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200748

"Mike K" wrote:

Oh Wise Ones,
I have a weird problem that I have never
encountered before. I inserted a hyperlink and tested it, and it worked fine.
I saved the workbook. When I the workbook again, the hyperlink was altered
with % and numbers inserted. Needless to say the hyperlink was broken. I fix
it and it changes back. What is going on?

I entered this:
\My Documents\Rubloss Calculator.xls

and it turns into this:
/My%20Documents/Rubloss%20Calculator.xls

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

David,
No, it doesn't work at all. I have substituted a hyperlink
formula I found from a forum search from Mr Peterson. That seems to be
working. I will use it for a few days and see if it corrupts.

Thanks,
Mike

"Mike K" wrote in message
Oh Wise Ones,
I have a weird problem that I have never
encountered before. I inserted a hyperlink and tested it, and it worked
fine.
I saved the workbook. When I the workbook again, the hyperlink was
altered
with % and numbers inserted. Needless to say the hyperlink was broken.
fix
it and it changes back. What is going on?

I entered this:
\My Documents\Rubloss Calculator.xls

and it turns into this:
/My%20Documents/Rubloss%20Calculator.xls

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gary's Student,
I have been reading up on the corruption issues
from the hyperlink 'insert", and have tried the formula which I didn't
realize existed. It seems to be working. Is there an acknowledged bug with
the hyperlink insert?

Thanks,
Mike

"Mike K" wrote:

Oh Wise Ones,
I have a weird problem that I have never
encountered before. I inserted a hyperlink and tested it, and it worked fine.
I saved the workbook. When I the workbook again, the hyperlink was altered
with % and numbers inserted. Needless to say the hyperlink was broken. I fix
it and it changes back. What is going on?

I entered this:
\My Documents\Rubloss Calculator.xls

and it turns into this:
/My%20Documents/Rubloss%20Calculator.xls

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I get this whenever I upload anything the intranet at work. It is
replacing the spaces in your path/filename with the %20. The link
continues to work - just looks strange!

On Oct 7, 9:35 am, Mike K wrote:
Oh Wise Ones,
I have a weird problem that I have never
encountered before. I inserted a hyperlink and tested it, and it worked fine.
I saved the workbook. When I the workbook again, the hyperlink was altered
with % and numbers inserted. Needless to say the hyperlink was broken. I fix
it and it changes back. What is going on?

I entered this:
\My Documents\Rubloss Calculator.xls

and it turns into this:
/My%20Documents/Rubloss%20Calculator.xls

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Which version of Excel are you using?

I'm using Excel 2003, and a hyperlink works just as well for me when it has
the %20 in the link as it did with the spaces. I'm intrigued as to why your
Excel should behave differently.
--
David Biddulph

"Mike K" wrote in message
Oh Wise Ones,
I have a weird problem that I have never
encountered before. I inserted a hyperlink and tested it, and it
worked
fine.
I saved the workbook. When I the workbook again, the hyperlink was
altered
with % and numbers inserted. Needless to say the hyperlink was
broken.
fix
it and it changes back. What is going on?

I entered this:
\My Documents\Rubloss Calculator.xls

and it turns into this:
/My%20Documents/Rubloss%20Calculator.xls

What can I do to prevent this?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Interesting. Perhaps someone else can tell us whether they have seen the
same problem as yours, and if so what are the circumstances in which it
happens?
--
David Biddulph

"Mike K" wrote in message