Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Antonio

Default Changing Max

I have a spreadsheet linked to life stock market prices.

Cell I17 is named "max" and it contains the following formula that displays
the maximum portfolio value:

=IF(TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALUEmax,TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALU E,max)

The problem is that it has a circular reference and I have to turn on
iterations.

Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
macropod

Hi Antonio,

Your formula is essentially the same as:
=MAX(TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALUE,max)
but this won't affect your circular referencing problem.

By the sounds of it, you're using this formula in a cell falling within the
named range 'TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALUE' and/or 'max'. Hence the circular
reference. The simplistic fix would be to put the formula in a cell that
isn't included in either of those ranges.

Cheers

"Antonio" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet linked to life stock market prices.

Cell I17 is named "max" and it contains the following formula that

displays
the maximum portfolio value:

=IF(TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALUEmax,TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALU E,max)

The problem is that it has a circular reference and I have to turn on
iterations.

Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

Antonio

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Antonio

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Your formula does not give the session maximum.

It calculates the max of two numbers, but it does not keep the previous max.
Thus it does not give the session.

"Antonio" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet linked to life stock market prices.

Cell I17 is named "max" and it contains the following formula that

displays
the maximum portfolio value:

=IF(TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALUEmax,TOTAL_PORTFOLIO_VALU E,max)

The problem is that it has a circular reference and I have to turn on
iterations.

Is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

Antonio

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
macropod

Hi Antonio,

That's what you get for having the formula in the cell named 'max' (I17).
Putting a formula in a cell that the formula refers to creates a circular
reference - there's no way around that.

Cheers