Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hide cells with comments in them.

I tried doing what Gord Dibben said in the 3-2-07 post and it didn't seem to
work. I want to hide the comments in a cell so only I can see them. Is
there another way to do it? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

On Oct 5, 10:28 am, ICCDan wrote:
I tried doing what Gord Dibben said in the 3-2-07 post and it didn't seem to
work. I want to hide the comments in a cell so only I can see them. Is
there another way to do it? Thanks

First, example, if your cells with comments are in column F, Copy all
the cells with comments, and Paste Special / Comments them to empty
cells in column GR. Then when you want to see them, drag column GR to
the left 'till it abutts column F. No one will think to look for
comments in column GR.

Well, if they do, go to the Data menu / View / Comments and check
"none". This removes the red triangles and even the text so the only
way to find a comment is to know what cell it's in, and the only way
to read it is to Right mouse menu / Edit Comment.

Of course, someone knowing there's Comments *somewhere* in the
Worksheet will go to the Edit menu / go to / special / comments / OK,
which lights them all up. But if they aren't tagged and you can't
read them unless you know about Edit Comment using "go to" will seem
to the searcher to have failed.

But you can thwart that by Protecting the worksheet with a formula (go
to wonn't work on a protecgted Worksheet). But that's pretty weak
protection in Excell so create a second worksheet LINKED to the first
one and copy the first one to the second one,. Then Delete all the
comments in the first Worksheet. Do all your work in the original
worksheet, but read your Comments in the second one, and take it home
at night.

If you're really anal about this, put the second Workshet on a
removable drive, be sure to have it opend when working on the
original, and take the removable drive home at night.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

ed