Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unwanted Virus Scan

I use MS Office 2003; Win XP; AVG ed 7.5.488

Every time I open an Excel file (with VBA macros) a virus scan is carried out.
How can I stop this. Unlike Norton, AVG appears to have no scan disabling
option.
--
donwb
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The enable / disable virus scan is an option in the Norton software.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200748

"donbowyer" wrote:

I use MS Office 2003; Win XP; AVG ed 7.5.488

Every time I open an Excel file (with VBA macros) a virus scan is carried out.
How can I stop this. Unlike Norton, AVG appears to have no scan disabling
option.
--
donwb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you contacted your vendor what was the response??
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200748

"donbowyer" wrote:

I use MS Office 2003; Win XP; AVG ed 7.5.488

Every time I open an Excel file (with VBA macros) a virus scan is carried out.
How can I stop this. Unlike Norton, AVG appears to have no scan disabling
option.
--
donwb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Don
Thanks for the reply.
I'm using the AVG Free Edition.
I do have scan all files de-selected but consequently the mutually exclusive
(toggle)option of scan infectable files is selected. The file extensions
checked include xl* files and it seems that in the free version these cannot
be changed (deselected).
On reflection, if a solution cannot be achieved by changing AVG's
configuration, then is it possible to stop Excel generating the call on AVG?
Regards
--
donwb

"Don Guillett" wrote:

AVG 7.5 control centerresident shieldpropertiesuncheck scan all files
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"donbowyer" wrote:

I use MS Office 2003; Win XP; AVG ed 7.5.488

Every time I open an Excel file (with VBA macros) a virus scan is
carried out.
How can I stop this. Unlike Norton, AVG appears to have no scan
disabling
option.
--
donwb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Don

I think that is one of the disabled features in the Free edition.
They have to cripple some things, otherwise they would get no sales of
version 7.5 ($52.95)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"donbowyer" wrote:

I use MS Office 2003; Win XP; AVG ed 7.5.488

Every time I open an Excel file (with VBA macros) a virus scan is
carried out.
How can I stop this. Unlike Norton, AVG appears to have no scan
disabling
option.
--
donwb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Many thanks for your inputs.
Indeed the options to prevent this problem are not available in AVG Free
edition.
However after a lot of searching, I found the following which solve the
problem.
Importantly they do not effect other virus scans, eg e-mail, only Office
startups.
It may be of help to others.

To stop virus scanning type the following into Start/Run:-
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"

To start virus scanning type the following into Start/Run:-
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgoff2k.dll"

The above path to the avgoff2k.dll is mine; yours may be different.
--
donwb

"donbowyer" wrote:

I use MS Office 2003; Win XP; AVG ed 7.5.488

Every time I open an Excel file (with VBA macros) a virus scan is
carried out.
How can I stop this. Unlike Norton, AVG appears to have no scan
disabling
option.
--
donwb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This solution works just fine. Much faster startup in Office programs now.
Thanks!

to MS: There should be a way to do this from inside the Office programs
and/or a mention of this in the Office Help files.

"donbowyer" wrote:

I use MS Office 2003; Win XP; AVG ed 7.5.488

Every time I open an Excel file (with VBA macros) a virus scan is
carried out.
How can I stop this. Unlike Norton, AVG appears to have no scan
disabling
option.
--
donwb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem is the OTHER program interfering. How is the Office help
files to be corrected for every program that makes a mess in Office
going to be maintained?