Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ignore values in a column

I am working with spread sheets that extend rows through several years of
monthly calculations. I wand to insert columns that calculate values to date.
How can I have the inserted column ignored by the underlying spreadsheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I think you'll have to revisit your
formulas so that each of them avoid the columns you want ignored.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for trying to help...
Let me give an easy example: If I were to fill a ROW of 10 cells each with
the number 2 and have cell 11 calculate TOTAL (=SUM(A1:A10)) the result would
of course be 20. Now if I want to insert a cell in column 5 to calculate the
SUM of cells to the left (=SUM(A1:A5)) the result would be 8. How can I
insert this cell at column 5 without effecting the value of Cell 11 (now cell
12 after the insert)

mrasker wrote:

I am working with spread sheets that extend rows through several years of
monthly calculations. I wand to insert columns that calculate values to date.
How can I have the inserted column ignored by the underlying spreadsheet?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks again Dave... I believe your first response was the one I should have
accepted. I know now that an after-the-fact insertion won't work for me and I
will re-structure my spreadsheet to do what i want..... Gary