Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking one cell to another.

I'm trying to link a blank cell (which will eventually contain text) to
another blank cell - different sheet but same workbook. The result is always
a "0" in the new cell. I've cleared both cells of all contents and formatting
to no avail.

I'm using Excel 2003. I'm grateful for any assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Try it like this:
=IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

instead of: =Sheet2!A1
--
Max
Singapore
"CarlaP" wrote:
I'm trying to link a blank cell (which will eventually contain text) to
another blank cell - different sheet but same workbook. The result is always
a "0" in the new cell. I've cleared both cells of all contents and formatting
to no avail.

I'm using Excel 2003. I'm grateful for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

"Max" wrote:

Try it like this:
=IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

instead of: =Sheet2!A1
--
"CarlaP" wrote:
I'm trying to link a blank cell (which will eventually contain text) to
another blank cell - different sheet but same workbook. The result is always
a "0" in the new cell. I've cleared both cells of all contents and formatting
to no avail.

I'm using Excel 2003. I'm grateful for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you use the name of your worksheet to which you are linking? Might not
be sheet2.
Did you type the formula correctly?

If in cell B6 on Sheet1, you're linking to cell C14 on a worksheet named
Calcs2006, your formula in cell B6 on sheet1 has to be:
=IF(Calcs2006!C14="","",Calcs2006!C14)

Tyro

"CarlaP" wrote in message
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

"Max" wrote:

Try it like this:
=IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

instead of: =Sheet2!A1
--
"CarlaP" wrote:
I'm trying to link a blank cell (which will eventually contain text) to
another blank cell - different sheet but same workbook. The result is
always
a "0" in the new cell. I've cleared both cells of all contents and
formatting
to no avail.

I'm using Excel 2003. I'm grateful for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd love to know exactly what "didn't work" means.

Wrong return ... NO return ... XL crashed ! ! !

Can you describe what you mean?

RD

"CarlaP" wrote in message
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

"Max" wrote:

Try it like this:
=IF(Sheet2!A1="","",Sheet2!A1)

instead of: =Sheet2!A1
--
"CarlaP" wrote:
I'm trying to link a blank cell (which will eventually contain text) to
another blank cell - different sheet but same workbook. The result is
always
a "0" in the new cell. I've cleared both cells of all contents and
formatting
to no avail.

I'm using Excel 2003. I'm grateful for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

It should have worked ok, Carla.
Maybe try it again, after your break?
Let us know further how it went ..
--
"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. To clarify, here are the steps I am following
(according to Excel Help):
- I select the cell which contains the information (it actually has nothing
in it but will eventually contain text)
- I copy (Control c)
- I go to cell on different worksheet (same workbook) that I want to
contain info from original cell
- I paste (Contol p)
- I click the resulting icon in the lower right corner of the cell that
looks like a little clipboard and select the option "link cells."
- The appropriate formula shows up in the formula bar.
Here is the problem:
Unless I make an entry in the original cell, the seond cell has a "0" in it.
If I do make an entry in the original cell, the linked cell will show that
entry. This workbook is a template and I do not want that "0" to be visible!
I have followed the above procedure with other workbooks without difficulty
and cannot figure out why this one isn't cooperating.
Any ideas?

Thanks again!

"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have to do the linking manually and add a blank cell trap.

In Sheet2 select a cell and enter =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,

Thanks for the suggestion. This didn't work either. Here is the formula I
entered:
=IF(Interview Mail-in!D5="","",Interview Mail-in!D5)

The name of the sheet that contains the original cell is - Interview Mail-in
and the cell is D5. When I enter this formula, the second cell has #NAME? in
it. If I enter information in the original cell, the second cell still has
#NAME? in it.

It's a mystery.
Carla

"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With the space in the sheet name you have to add some single quotes.

=IF('Interview Mail-in'!D5="","",'Interview Mail-in'!D5)

Excel requires these when sheet names or workbook names have spaces.

Next time I'll try to remember to post that info.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If a worksheet name includes spaces, you need to surround it with single
quotes in the formula
=IF('Interview Mail-in'!D5="","",'Interview Mail-in'!D5)

Hint:
If you don't know how to refer in a formula to a cell, just start the
formula with the = sign then when you want to refer to a cell, even in
another worksheet, just go to that sheet & that cell and click there, and
that cell's reference will be included in the formula bar. Continue the
formula as necessary.
--
David Biddulph

"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF('Interview Mail-in'!D5="","",'Interview Mail-in'!D5)

It's easier if you type =, then click the sheet tab and then the cell and
Excel will automatically put the correct string. Since you have a sheet name
with a space you need to use an apostrophe at the start and one before the
exclamation point

Peo Sjoblom

"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hurray; success!
You guys all rock!
Thanks very much and have a terrific weekend!
Carla

"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking one cell to another ------ Peo I have a question for you

I have posted this in the newsgroups. No one will answer. Will you look at
my question, please?

If so, I will post my question.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AM AM is offline

Default Linking one cell to another ------ Peo I have a question for y

I have tried to post this question on various groups, but it didn't show up,
so I am posting it here.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a worksheet with columns A and B. Both coulmns contain Texts.
Col A contains project names and Col B contains Comments.
Col A is updated automatically from another sheet based on some conditions.
Col B comments are manually entered by project managers.
I need to link the comments to the Project name such that next time when
project name moves up or down col A, comments owuld move up or down with it.
My formulas for updating col A work fine. Project names list is updated
based on their stauts. But comments entered from last time are misaligned
with the new list.