Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking one cell to another.

If a worksheet name includes spaces, you need to surround it with single
quotes in the formula
=IF('Interview Mail-in'!D5="","",'Interview Mail-in'!D5)

Hint:
If you don't know how to refer in a formula to a cell, just start the
formula with the = sign then when you want to refer to a cell, even in
another worksheet, just go to that sheet & that cell and click there, and
that cell's reference will be included in the formula bar. Continue the
formula as necessary.
--
David Biddulph

"CarlaP" wrote in message
Gord,

Thanks for the suggestion. This didn't work either. Here is the formula I
entered:
=IF(Interview Mail-in!D5="","",Interview Mail-in!D5)

The name of the sheet that contains the original cell is - Interview
Mail-in
and the cell is D5. When I enter this formula, the second cell has #NAME?
in
it. If I enter information in the original cell, the second cell still has
#NAME? in it.

It's a mystery.
Carla

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

You have to do the linking manually and add a blank cell trap.

In Sheet2 select a cell and enter =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:45:01 -0700, CarlaP

wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. To clarify, here are the steps I am
following
(according to Excel Help):
- I select the cell which contains the information (it actually has
nothing
in it but will eventually contain text)
- I copy (Control c)
- I go to cell on different worksheet (same workbook) that I want to
contain info from original cell
- I paste (Contol p)
- I click the resulting icon in the lower right corner of the cell that
looks like a little clipboard and select the option "link cells."
- The appropriate formula shows up in the formula bar.
Here is the problem:
Unless I make an entry in the original cell, the seond cell has a "0" in
it.
If I do make an entry in the original cell, the linked cell will show
that
entry. This workbook is a template and I do not want that "0" to be
visible!
I have followed the above procedure with other workbooks without
difficulty
and cannot figure out why this one isn't cooperating.
Any ideas?

Thanks again!

"Max" wrote:

It should have worked ok, Carla.
Maybe try it again, after your break?
Let us know further how it went ..
--
Max
Singapore
"CarlaP" wrote:
Thanks, Max. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Carla