Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 1 and 2 prior to beginning of Row headers

What is this? I'm working on a spreadsheet that is having sort problems,
only to notice there are 2 columns labeled 1 and 2 before the row headers
start...
It reminds me of Access tables with relationships? I've never seen this
before in excel? There are + and - signs in the columns - seems to collapse
and expand some of the rows of data...
What is causing it? What is the purpose? Can anyone give a some more info.
The sort works fine when I copy and paste the data into a fresh sheet that
does not have those columns. Looks like the rows that are marked, were being
ignored by the sort. I'm almost thinking they are there by accident - maybe
when updating from 2003 to 2007.
Thanks for any help you can send my way!!!!
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cindy

DataGroup and Outline places those to the left of your row headers when they
are grouped. Above when columns are grouped.

DataGroup and OutlineUngroup gets rid of them.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 17:05:00 -0700, cindy
wrote:

What is this? I'm working on a spreadsheet that is having sort problems,
only to notice there are 2 columns labeled 1 and 2 before the row headers
start...
It reminds me of Access tables with relationships? I've never seen this
before in excel? There are + and - signs in the columns - seems to collapse
and expand some of the rows of data...
What is causing it? What is the purpose? Can anyone give a some more info.
The sort works fine when I copy and paste the data into a fresh sheet that
does not have those columns. Looks like the rows that are marked, were being
ignored by the sort. I'm almost thinking they are there by accident - maybe
when updating from 2003 to 2007.
Thanks for any help you can send my way!!!!
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

cindy

This is the "Group & Outline" feature. You may or may not have to select
first, (I don't remember bg<) Goto Data Group & Outline and uncheck
"UnGroup"

Mike Rogers

"cindy" wrote:

What is this? I'm working on a spreadsheet that is having sort problems,
only to notice there are 2 columns labeled 1 and 2 before the row headers
start...
It reminds me of Access tables with relationships? I've never seen this
before in excel? There are + and - signs in the columns - seems to collapse
and expand some of the rows of data...
What is causing it? What is the purpose? Can anyone give a some more info.
The sort works fine when I copy and paste the data into a fresh sheet that
does not have those columns. Looks like the rows that are marked, were being
ignored by the sort. I'm almost thinking they are there by accident - maybe
when updating from 2003 to 2007.
Thanks for any help you can send my way!!!!
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the feedback Cindy.

Gord