Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formulas Aren't Automatically Updating When Cells Change

I recently started experiencing a problem I have never had in Excel
before, and I don't know if it has to do with an Excel setting in
general or if I screwed something up with the Macros I was writing.

I have a bunch of formulas in my worksheets (If Statements, Now(),
Sum(), etc). Let me use this quick example.

C4 = 5
C7 = 10
C8 = Sum(C4 + C7)

If I repopulate C4 and C7, C8 no longer automatically changes. But if
I go to edit C8 (click on it and hit F2) and then hit enter, it will
then update correctly.

Why on earth is it doing that?

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Formulas Aren't Automatically Updating When Cells Change

It sounds like your Excel calculation settings may have been changed. Here's how you can check and fix it:
  1. Click on the "Formulas" tab in the ribbon at the top of Excel.
  2. Click on "Calculation Options" in the "Calculation" group.
  3. Make sure "Automatic" is selected. If it's not, click on it to select it.
  4. If "Automatic" was already selected, try clicking on "Calculate Now" or "Calculate Sheet" to force Excel to recalculate all formulas on the sheet.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that there's a circular reference in your formulas that's causing Excel to not update automatically. Here's how you can check for circular references:
  1. Click on the "Formulas" tab in the ribbon at the top of Excel.
  2. Click on "Error Checking" in the "Formula Auditing" group.
  3. Click on "Circular References" to see if any are detected.
  4. If a circular reference is detected, you'll need to adjust your formulas to remove it.

If neither of these solutions work, it's possible that there's an issue with your Macros. Try disabling them and see if the problem persists. If it does, you may need to seek further assistance.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Check that calc is set to auto
Click Tools Options Calculation tab
Check "Automatic" OK
--
Max
Singapore
"chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently started experiencing a problem I have never had in Excel
before, and I don't know if it has to do with an Excel setting in
general or if I screwed something up with the Macros I was writing.

I have a bunch of formulas in my worksheets (If Statements, Now(),
Sum(), etc). Let me use this quick example.

C4 = 5
C7 = 10
C8 = Sum(C4 + C7)

If I repopulate C4 and C7, C8 no longer automatically changes. But if
I go to edit C8 (click on it and hit F2) and then hit enter, it will
then update correctly.

Why on earth is it doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Ity sounds like calculation is set to manual

Tools|Options|Calculation and set to automatic

Mike

"chris" wrote:

I recently started experiencing a problem I have never had in Excel
before, and I don't know if it has to do with an Excel setting in
general or if I screwed something up with the Macros I was writing.

I have a bunch of formulas in my worksheets (If Statements, Now(),
Sum(), etc). Let me use this quick example.

C4 = 5
C7 = 10
C8 = Sum(C4 + C7)

If I repopulate C4 and C7, C8 no longer automatically changes. But if
I go to edit C8 (click on it and hit F2) and then hit enter, it will
then update correctly.

Why on earth is it doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go to Tools | Options | Calculation tab, and you probably have the
calculation mode set to Manual - click on the Automatic option. Make
sure that you save the file, so that this option is then set (although
it will be un-set if you open another file which has manual calc).

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 28, 2:59 pm, chris wrote:
I recently started experiencing a problem I have never had in Excel
before, and I don't know if it has to do with an Excel setting in
general or if I screwed something up with the Macros I was writing.

I have a bunch of formulas in my worksheets (If Statements, Now(),
Sum(), etc). Let me use this quick example.

C4 = 5
C7 = 10
C8 = Sum(C4 + C7)

If I repopulate C4 and C7, C8 no longer automatically changes. But if
I go to edit C8 (click on it and hit F2) and then hit enter, it will
then update correctly.

Why on earth is it doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Other folk have told you about Tools/ Options/ Calculation/ Automatic, but
another point is that you don't need SUM if you are using C4+C7.

=C4+C7 will do, or you can use =SUM(C4,C7). If you give SUM more than one
parameter, it will add them together, but as you've given it only one
parameter (C4+C7), then it's got nothing to add to that parameter. It's as
unnecessary as saying =PRODUCT(C4+C7) or =AVERAGE(C4+C7) or =MIN(C4+C7) or
=MAX(C4+C7) or ...
--
David Biddulph

"chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently started experiencing a problem I have never had in Excel
before, and I don't know if it has to do with an Excel setting in
general or if I screwed something up with the Macros I was writing.

I have a bunch of formulas in my worksheets (If Statements, Now(),
Sum(), etc). Let me use this quick example.

C4 = 5
C7 = 10
C8 = Sum(C4 + C7)

If I repopulate C4 and C7, C8 no longer automatically changes. But if
I go to edit C8 (click on it and hit F2) and then hit enter, it will
then update correctly.

Why on earth is it doing that?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks everyone.

On Sep 28, 11:12 am, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
Other folk have told you about Tools/ Options/ Calculation/ Automatic, but
another point is that you don't need SUM if you are using C4+C7.

=C4+C7 will do, or you can use =SUM(C4,C7). If you give SUM more than one
parameter, it will add them together, but as you've given it only one
parameter (C4+C7), then it's got nothing to add to that parameter. It's as
unnecessary as saying =PRODUCT(C4+C7) or =AVERAGE(C4+C7) or =MIN(C4+C7) or
=MAX(C4+C7) or ...
--
David Biddulph

"chris" wrote in message

ups.com...

I recently started experiencing a problem I have never had in Excel
before, and I don't know if it has to do with an Excel setting in
general or if I screwed something up with the Macros I was writing.

I have a bunch of formulas in my worksheets (If Statements, Now(),
Sum(), etc). Let me use this quick example.

C4 = 5
C7 = 10
C8 = Sum(C4 + C7)

If I repopulate C4 and C7, C8 no longer automatically changes. But if
I go to edit C8 (click on it and hit F2) and then hit enter, it will
then update correctly.

Why on earth is it doing that?- Hide quoted text -