Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel not automatically updating cells

I work with big excel files (almost 7MB), with most of the worksheets linking
back and forth. I have discovered that sometimes when I change a cell on a
worksheet, it does not automatically update the cells on the linked
worksheets. The only way to do it is to go to each dependent cell
individually to update, this is very time consuming. I have double checked
that the automatical update is checked in the options. Has anyone
experienced this and does anyone have a solution? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Erin

ToolsOptionsCalculation.

Are you set to "manual"?

Change to "automatic".

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:39:01 -0800, Erin <Erin @discussions.microsoft.com wrote:

I work with big excel files (almost 7MB), with most of the worksheets linking
back and forth. I have discovered that sometimes when I change a cell on a
worksheet, it does not automatically update the cells on the linked
worksheets. The only way to do it is to go to each dependent cell
individually to update, this is very time consuming. I have double checked
that the automatical update is checked in the options. Has anyone
experienced this and does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe resetting xl's calculation engine would help?

I'd try selecting all the sheets (so I only have to do this once).

Then select a single cell (so that all the cells are looked at in the next step)

Edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: = (equal sign)
replace all

Then ungroup the sheets.

excel will see that you're changing formulas and reevaluate each of those
formulas--maybe it'll wake excel up???

--

Dave Peterson