Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File Link

Can anyone help me solve this problem please. When I type a month in
cell "A1", say for example "August", how can I get it to change the
"July" in the link below to "August".

=+'[2XDA_Adults_Services July Monitoring Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73.

Many thanks,
Ola.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need the INDIRECT function.
Try =INDIRECT("'[2XDA_Adults_Services "&A1&" Monitoring
Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73")

And you don't need the + sign in your formula. [What do you want to add to
what?]
--
David Biddulph

"Ola2B" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anyone help me solve this problem please. When I type a month in
cell "A1", say for example "August", how can I get it to change the
"July" in the link below to "August".

=+'[2XDA_Adults_Services July Monitoring Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73.

Many thanks,
Ola.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The formula that David Biddulph gave you will work as long as that sending
workbook is open. As soon as you close that workbook (and excel recalcs),
you'll get an error.

If you're going to have that sending workbook closed, then Laurent Longre has an
addin (morefunc.xll) at:
http://xcell05.free.fr/

That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.

Ola2B wrote:

Can anyone help me solve this problem please. When I type a month in
cell "A1", say for example "August", how can I get it to change the
"July" in the link below to "August".

=+'[2XDA_Adults_Services July Monitoring Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73.

Many thanks,
Ola.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ola2Bwrote:

Can anyone help me solve this problem please. When I type a month in
cell "A1", say for example "August", how can I get it to change the
"July" in the link below to "August".

=+'[2XDA_Adults_Services July Monitoring Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73.

Many thanks,
Ola.

--

Dave Peterson

Many thaks for your help Dave! The only problem i'm having now is that
i keep getting this message "#name?" whenever i use the indirect and
ext. formular. this is what i put in the cell :
=INDIRECT.EXT("'[2XDA_Adults_Services "&G1&" Monitoring
Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73"). Please let me know if i'm doing anything
wrong.

Many thanks,
Ola.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're getting that name error, then it looks like you didn't install that
addin correctly.

I'd read the installation instructions once more and try installing again.

Ola2B wrote:

<<snipped

Many thaks for your help Dave! The only problem i'm having now is that
i keep getting this message "#name?" whenever i use the indirect and
ext. formular. this is what i put in the cell :
=INDIRECT.EXT("'[2XDA_Adults_Services "&G1&" Monitoring
Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73"). Please let me know if i'm doing anything
wrong.

Many thanks,
Ola.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 4 Oct, 13:39, Dave Peterson wrote:
If you're getting that name error, then it looks like you didn't install that
addin correctly.

I'd read the installation instructions once more and try installing again.

Ola2B wrote:

<<snipped

Many thaks for your help Dave! The only problem i'm having now is that
i keep getting this message "#name?" whenever i use the indirect and
ext. formular. this is what i put in the cell :
=INDIRECT.EXT("'[2XDA_Adults_Services "&G1&" Monitoring
Summary.xls]2XDB'!$P$73"). Please let me know if i'm doing anything
wrong.

Many thanks,
Ola.

--