Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default problem opening file

I am using Excel 2000. When I double click on a file name in Windows
Explorer I get an error message that the file cannot be found. However, when
I click on Open in Excel and find the file I CAN open it. This is more of a
pain in the neck than a critical issue, but I would like to resolve it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:52:00 -0700, Markb
wrote:

I am using Excel 2000. When I double click on a file name in Windows
Explorer I get an error message that the file cannot be found. However, when
I click on Open in Excel and find the file I CAN open it. This is more of a
pain in the neck than a critical issue, but I would like to resolve it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nope does not fix my problem. See full details under posts
"xlx file will not launch"
and
"Double click on icon opens Excel but does not open file"

wrote:

I am using Excel 2000. When I double click on a file name in Windows
Explorer I get an error message that the file cannot be found. However, when
I click on Open in Excel and find the file I CAN open it. This is more of a
pain in the neck than a critical issue, but I would like to resolve it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You responded to my post directed to MarkB from 2007

Why should I hunt around for your posts?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

I am using Excel 2000. When I double click on a file name in Windows
Explorer I get an error message that the file cannot be found. However, when
I click on Open in Excel and find the file I CAN open it. This is more of a
pain in the neck than a critical issue, but I would like to resolve it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did not re-post my history as I thought it would save time and space for
those that might have an idea how to solve the double click problem. I have
seen your replies to others with similar problems and the MVP designation so
I am hoping you can help.
To save time with suggestions on things to try here is my history and status.

Tried Ignore other applications "fix" with no sucess
Tried the unregister and register "fix" with no sucess
Tried the full path regserver "fix" with no sucess

My problems began after installing Office 2007 with a problem with Excel
2007 not functioning correctly with the workbook that did work under
Excel-2003 and Excel-97. It took 1:45 to just open the file and 2:05 to
change the value in a single cell.
Based on input direct from a MS tech that I would need to re-write the full
workbook to eliminate some unknown problem with this workbook I spent about
40 hours completely writing a new version of the workbook with it's 800+
cells with data, formula and cross worksheet references, but NO MACROS.

After doing all this work, I thought I was ready to actually start to use
Excel-2007.

However opening the workbook still is not working correctly.

It can not open the XLSM file with a double click in Explorer. It will only
open when I
click OPEN the file after opening EXCEL .

To test I did the following:
I saved a number of copies of the file on my desktop as XLS type, XLSM type,
and XLSX type I also have a copy of the old workbook from Excel 2003 that
would open after 1:45 with Excel-07 (Would open in 11 sec using Excel-03)

With no other applications running, Double clicking on the XLS or XLSX
files opened them in just a few seconds
double clicking on the old Excel-2003 file opened it in the "normal" 1:45
double clicking on the XLSM file did not open it.

Note I have not yet included the macros that I had in the old Excel-2003
workbook but was planning on writing them this weekend. I see no reason to
spend more time writing macros in Excel-07 if the program still has bugs.

If you can provide a fix, it would be greatly appreciated.

wrote:

I am using Excel 2000. When I double click on a file name in Windows
Explorer I get an error message that the file cannot be found. However, when
I click on Open in Excel and find the file I CAN open it. This is more of a
pain in the neck than a critical issue, but I would like to resolve it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Ignore other applications" was already unticked.

The two Runs did not work too.

I still need to open the xlsx files from within Excel2007.

wrote:

I am using Excel 2000. When I double click on a file name in Windows
Explorer I get an error message that the file cannot be found. However, when
I click on Open in Excel and find the file I CAN open it. This is more of a
pain in the neck than a critical issue, but I would like to resolve it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What did or did not happen when you ran the unregserver and regserver
commands?

Any messages?

Did Excel 2007 attempt to configure?

Which version of Windows are you running?

I cannot test on any OS other than WinXP Pro SP3

Gord