Steve Goodrich

Default opening file problem please help

When I click on an Excel file in Windows Explorer, I get the following error
message.

"a document with the name "filename".xls is already open. You can not open
two documents with the same name at the same time". (Clicking ok closes the
message and the file opens.)

This happens on every Excel file in Explorer. There are no other files open
on my p.c. at all.

If I open Excel first and open the file I want by clicking the File menu and
selecting Open, the file will open with no error message. Other than that
the programme works perfectly

I'm using Excel 97 and Windows XP Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Steve