Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Won't load saved spreadsheets

I have Excel 2000 for Microsoft Office with Service Pack 2. Excel won't open
spreadsheets that are saved to the desktop, sent to me in an email, or opened
through Windows Explorer. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to just get
a newer version of Windows and/or Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What happens when you try to load them?

Nothing? Excel starts up but no file opens?

Any message(s)?

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:42:01 -0700, Tiny G <Tiny
wrote:

I have Excel 2000 for Microsoft Office with Service Pack 2. Excel won't open
spreadsheets that are saved to the desktop, sent to me in an email, or opened
through Windows Explorer. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to just get
a newer version of Windows and/or Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I try to load the files from an email, desktop, etc., Excel will start
up but no files open. I tried the fixes that you listed and it hasn't helped.
The files still won't open.

wrote:

I have Excel 2000 for Microsoft Office with Service Pack 2. Excel won't open
spreadsheets that are saved to the desktop, sent to me in an email, or opened
through Windows Explorer. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to just get
a newer version of Windows and/or Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is a common problem and I'm not sure of a fix.

Save the file to hard drive and open from there.

Keep watching this thread. Someone else may have an better answer.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP