Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default convert column from numbers to text

I have a column of about 600 numbers I want to convert to text (with the
little green triangle)...I "think" I have done it...but in my new column I
have to open each cell and then close it before the triangle appears ?
Is this ok...or should the triangle appear automatically...and if so...how
to do this?

Also...a short example of how to convert a column form numbers to text would
be appreciated...in case I have to start over ?
Excel 2003

Thanks, Tim R

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

As-is, with source numbers running in A1 down,
Put in B1: =A1&""
Copy down, then copy n paste special as values to overwrite col A. Clear col
B.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a column of about 600 numbers I want to convert to text (with the
little green triangle)...I "think" I have done it...but in my new column I
have to open each cell and then close it before the triangle appears ?
Is this ok...or should the triangle appear automatically...and if so...how
to do this?

Also...a short example of how to convert a column form numbers to text
would be appreciated...in case I have to start over ?
Excel 2003

Select the entire column, click Data/Text To Columns on Excel's menu bar;
click OK twice on the dialog box that appears in order to get to step 3 and
select the Text option button from the "Column data format" section;
finally, click the Finish button. Your numbers should now be text (and the
green triangles should appear).

Rick