Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default text format imported date not wanted

Hi,

I have a problem that involves date values of exported reports from a 3rd
party application that autogenerates the spreadsheet, whereby, ANY date over
12 (regional date format = *14/03/2001) eg; 13/07/2007, is imported as a
text string 20070713 and refuses to reformat once the import is complete.

I've checked all Office option settings without result and am heading
towards it being something to do with DDE in the translation?

Can anyone shed some light on a solution please?

--
Keep the light on... and burn bright, not out...
CopperHead ;-D
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It may be worth checking your Windows Regional Options if it is drawing a
line at 12, to see whether it is getting confused between mm/dd/yyyy and
dd/mm/yyyy.
It may be cleaner to import all the data forcing it to text, rather than
date, then do Data/Text to Columns, and at the final stage specify YMD or
whatever as the format of the data being imported.
--
David Biddulph

"CopperHead" wrote in message

I have a problem that involves date values of exported reports from a 3rd
party application that autogenerates the spreadsheet, whereby, ANY date
over
12 (regional date format = *14/03/2001) eg; 13/07/2007, is imported as a
text string 20070713 and refuses to reformat once the import is complete.

I've checked all Office option settings without result and am heading
towards it being something to do with DDE in the translation?

Can anyone shed some light on a solution please?

--
Keep the light on... and burn bright, not out...
CopperHead ;-D

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David,

Thanks for that but, I have no control over the exported file format as it's
all hard coded in the 3rd party app. I can only control the Excel environment.

I need a resolution based on the receiving app (Excel2007) only, if possible?

In the mean time I have logged it with the 3rd party programmers to alert
them as this WILL be a problem for all users of their software.

--

"David Biddulph" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wasn't talking about any changes to your 3rd party app.

The Windows Regional Options control how Excel interprets data if you read
it in as a date. My alternative suggestion was that you read the data into
Excel as text, and translate it within Excel using Excels Data/ Text to
Columns function.