Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel crashes when opening word or new email

Hi -

My excel instance just seems to crash (disappear) when ever I reply to an
email, write a new email or open Word. Word is not my email editor.

I have tried uninstalling office then re-installing, tried repairing excel,
tried resetting the registry settings (start - run - excel /unregserver the
start - run - excel /regserver)

This is getting a bit irritating. Close as I can come to a root cause is a
MS Offcie and/or windows security update. I am not losing much (if any
work), but its trying.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In case this helps bring attention to your problem, you are not alone. I have
the same problem with my computer at work. Desktop support reinstalled MS
Office twice. Then they re-imaged my pc. It's happening again. If I click the
'New' button or 'Reply' button in Outlook, all Excel windows close. There is
no save warning. There is no error message. There is no 'send this data to
Microsoft' dialog. There is no Excel.exe process left hanging. Excel is
totally gone. It's a real pain when you are trying to copy data from Excel
into an email because whatever you copied disappears along with Excel so you
can't paste it into the email.

"ckotas" wrote:

Hi -

My excel instance just seems to crash (disappear) when ever I reply to an
email, write a new email or open Word. Word is not my email editor.

I have tried uninstalling office then re-installing, tried repairing excel,
tried resetting the registry settings (start - run - excel /unregserver the
start - run - excel /regserver)

This is getting a bit irritating. Close as I can come to a root cause is a
MS Offcie and/or windows security update. I am not losing much (if any
work), but its trying.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"ckotas" wrote:
Hi -

My excel instance just seems to crash (disappear) when ever I reply to an
email, write a new email or open Word. Word is not my email editor.

I have tried uninstalling office then re-installing, tried repairing excel,
tried resetting the registry settings (start - run - excel /unregserver the
start - run - excel /regserver)

This is getting a bit irritating. Close as I can come to a root cause is a
MS Offcie and/or windows security update. I am not losing much (if any
work), but its trying.

Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

Did you ever get a fix for this, I am having the same issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Exact same problem here. I have no idea what to do about this and it's
driving me nuts. It's not consistent, either. Some times it crashes,
other times it doesn't.

"ckotas" wrote:
Hi -

Myexcelinstance just seems to crash (disappear) when ever I reply to an
email, write a new email or open Word. Word is not my email editor.

I have tried uninstalling office then re-installing, tried repairingexcel,
tried resetting the registry settings (start - run -excel/unregserver the
start - run -excel/regserver)

This is getting a bit irritating. Close as I can come to a root cause is a
MS Offcie and/or windows security update. I am not losing much (if any
work), but its trying.

Any ideas?- Hide quoted text -

Did you ever get a fix for this, I am having the same issue.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Got a fix!

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Micr..._22729174.html

Basically, you need to change (upgrade or downgrade) the printer
drivers of your default printer. I have no idea why this causes a
problem, but I switched the drivers and no longer have the issue.

I could consistently re-create the issue by having outlook and excel
open, copying text in Excel, and then going to outlook and replying or
creating a new message. This would cause excel to close with no
warning. If I didn't have data copied to the clipboard, it wouldn't
crash. Very strange. Anyway, switching out the printer drivers for my
default printer solved the problem. I can't re-create the problem now
no matter how hard I try.

Good luck!