Cowtoon

Default setting location of files won't "stick"

When I set the file locations in word to a specific drive, it holds (as it
should). However, in Excel, when I do the same thing, it doesn't stick. I'm
trying to set both to the same location, but Excel won't cooperate.

Is this a bug in Excel? ... is there a work around or fix?

Thanks.
Diana
Bob Tarburton

Are you saying
ToolsOptionsGeneralDefault File Location
Doesn't work?

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:23:05 -0800, "Cowtoon"
wrote:

When I set the file locations in word to a specific drive, it holds (as it
should). However, in Excel, when I do the same thing, it doesn't stick. I'm
trying to set both to the same location, but Excel won't cooperate.

Is this a bug in Excel? ... is there a work around or fix?

Thanks.
Diana

Cowtoon

Well ... to answer your question as I see it ... the drive that's selected
works. It opens the files to that location when I startup excel but I want
to change the default location.

When I type a different drive letter (on a network), then restart Excel, it
keeps going back to the previous defaulted drive. I can't make it change.
This is entirely frustrating.

If you have any ideas ... I'd like to hear them.
Diana

wrote:

When I set the file locations in word to a specific drive, it holds (as it
should). However, in Excel, when I do the same thing, it doesn't stick. I'm
trying to set both to the same location, but Excel won't cooperate.

Is this a bug in Excel? ... is there a work around or fix?

Thanks.
Diana

Bob Tarburton

double backslash preceding the network is all I have for you.
You were probably already doing that.

wrote:

When I set the file locations in word to a specific drive, it holds (as it
should). However, in Excel, when I do the same thing, it doesn't stick. I'm
trying to set both to the same location, but Excel won't cooperate.

Is this a bug in Excel? ... is there a work around or fix?

Thanks.
Diana

Cowtoon

Yes ... I tried that, as well as the unc path and neither helped ... bummer!
I'm totally miffed by this one.
Thanks though ... it was worth a try.
Diana