Craig

Default Determining the age of an individual

If I have a column with the date of births of a group of individuals how can
I determine their age (in the adjacent column) at their next birthday or as
of 1/1/2005?

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

=DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y") does return the number of full years between
2 dates.
=DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM") does return the number of full months over
full years.
=DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD") does return the number of days over full
months.

Combined formula:
=TRIM(IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y")=0,"",DATED IF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y")
& " year" & IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"Y")=1,"s","")) &
IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM")=0,"", " " &
DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM") & " month" &
IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"YM")=1,"s","")) &
IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD")=0,"", " " &
DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD") & " day" &
IF(DATEDIF(StartDate,EndDate,"MD")=1,"s","")))

StartDate will be the reference to cell with birth date in it, EndDate
either a function TODAY(), or DATE(2005,1,1)

Arvi Laanemets

"Craig" wrote in message
If I have a column with the date of births of a group of individuals how

can
I determine their age (in the adjacent column) at their next birthday or

as
of 1/1/2005?

Dave Peterson

You can use the =datedif() function.

You can find lots of information about =datedif() at Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

--

Dave Peterson