Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Assigning Values to Symbols

I want to be able to insert symbols such as a letter (p) or a letter and
number (p1)into a worksheet. I then want to created a formula that
recognizes those symbols as a specific value, such as p=1 and p1 -.5. Could
anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming that you are going to reference those values in a formula somewhere
in the sheet, a simple IF statement may do the trick!

Let's say that the P or P1 appear in a cell in Column.A and you want a
result of a mathmatical formula in the adjecent cell on Column.B

If A1 contains the letter P and as you stated, P is equal to 1, you could
enter a formula in B1 evaluating that as follows:

=IF(A1="P",SUM(25*1),IF(A1="P1",SUM(25*(-0.5)),"Not P or P1"))

This will evaluate if the cell in Column A contains a P or a P1 and multiply
the appropriate value times 25. If the cell in Column A does not contain a P
or P1, it tells you so.

"George" wrote:

I want to be able to insert symbols such as a letter (p) or a letter and
number (p1)into a worksheet. I then want to created a formula that
recognizes those symbols as a specific value, such as p=1 and p1 -.5. Could
anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another way to do it is like this...
Setup a sheet as follows:

A B C D E
1 P1 -12.5 P 1
2 P 25 P1 -0.5

The formula in cell B1 is:
=SUM(VLOOKUP(A1,$D$1:$E$2,2,FALSE)*25)

What this does is it looks at the "TableArray" in cells D1:E2 and tries to
find a match to what is entered into cell A1. It will then multiply the
matched value, which resides in column E by 25.

The VLOOKUP will work in a large combination of formulas, allowing you to
define a list of values (TableArray) and use them throughout the sheet!

"George" wrote:

I want to be able to insert symbols such as a letter (p) or a letter and
number (p1)into a worksheet. I then want to created a formula that
recognizes those symbols as a specific value, such as p=1 and p1 -.5. Could
anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want Names for this you may for instance Name(Insert, Name,
Define) cell A1 "p" and Name cell A2 "pOne". Now put =1 in cell A1 and
=.5 in cell A2. Now click in another cell and put =p+pOne, and it should
show 1.5

George wrote:
I want to be able to insert symbols such as a letter (p) or a letter and
number (p1)into a worksheet. I then want to created a formula that
recognizes those symbols as a specific value, such as p=1 and p1 -.5. Could
anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can try using "named formulas".

However, your example of using P1 wouldn't work since it's a reserved name,
being similar to cell references.

You could use P, P1P, P2P, ...etc.

<Insert <Name <Define

Click in the "Names in Workbook" box and type:
Then, change whatever's in the "Refers To" box to:
=1

Then click <Add

Back to the "Names in Workbook" box and type:
P1P
Then, change whatever's in the "Refers To" box to:
=-0.5
Then click <OK.

Now, you can try something like this:

=P+P1P
and get a return of
0.5

OR

=100-P
and get a return of 99.
--
HTH,

RD

"George" wrote in message
I want to be able to insert symbols such as a letter (p) or a letter and
number (p1)into a worksheet. I then want to created a formula that
recognizes those symbols as a specific value, such as p=1 and p1 -.5.
Could
anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc