Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hyperlinks in Excel spreadsheets

I am sure the answer to this question can be found in Excel Help but, as I
don't know what I'm looking for is called, I thought I'd try here.

I am creating an alphabetical list of items in Excel 2003, in 2 columns
split in to sections for A, B, C etc. The sections are not of equal length as
there may be more items in section A in column 1 than there are in section A,
column 2.
What I would like to do is, at the top of the spreadsheet, have a link for
each letter of the alphabet, or maybe some multi-letter buttons for less
common letters which, when clicked on, will take the user to the top of the
section for that letter.

I know this can be done in web pages, but can it be done in a spreadsheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using hyperlinks for navagation within a workbook is easy. Try something like:

=HYPERLINK("#Sheet3!Z100", "column P values")

You can create a column of this stuff to act just like a hot TOC in a Word
document. Note that ALT-BACKARROW returns you from the hyper-jump.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200743

"UKdeejay" wrote:

I am sure the answer to this question can be found in Excel Help but, as I
don't know what I'm looking for is called, I thought I'd try here.

I am creating an alphabetical list of items in Excel 2003, in 2 columns
split in to sections for A, B, C etc. The sections are not of equal length as
there may be more items in section A in column 1 than there are in section A,
column 2.
What I would like to do is, at the top of the spreadsheet, have a link for
each letter of the alphabet, or maybe some multi-letter buttons for less
common letters which, when clicked on, will take the user to the top of the
section for that letter.

I know this can be done in web pages, but can it be done in a spreadsheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I find I need all the junky punctuation (even though all we are really
interested in the the Sheet name and cell address).

The "column P values" is completely arbitrary. This is the text you see
looking at the cell with the hyperlink function in it.

Pick something meaningful to you.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200743