Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Odd Conditional Formatting

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and not
the number that follows. How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try:

FormulaIs:

=OR(ISNUMBER(FIND("W",A1)),ISNUMBER(FIND("DDD",A1) ))

"mailrail" wrote:

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and not
the number that follows. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You only need to test the first character:
Format Conditional formatting... Formula Is
=left(a1,1)="W"
and pick the format

Same for DDD
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200743

"mailrail" wrote:

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and not
the number that follows. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using A1:
formula is:
=or(left(a1,2)="w ",left(a1,4)="ddd ")

mailrail wrote:

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and not
the number that follows. How do I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So are you telling us that
=OR(ISNUMBER(FIND("W",A1)),ISNUMBER(FIND("DDD",A1) )) didn't give you the
conditional format for cells that contained W or DDD? Are you sure that you
specified an appropriate format in the CF?

If you paste that formula into a separate cell does it give a TRUE or FALSE?
Are you sure that you've got the formula that you think you have in CF? It
does have a tendency to throw in unwanted quote marks or to convert from
relative to absolute addressing.
Are you sure that the formula refers to the appropriate cell?
--
David Biddulph

"mailrail" wrote:

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my
cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and
not
the number that follows. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What was the address of the activecell?
What was the formula you pasted?
What was in that cell?

"mailrail" wrote:

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and not
the number that follows. How do I do this?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm highlighting a whole range of cells and trying to get that conditional
format into each one with the same basic formula. Will that work or do I have
to write an individual formula for each of those 100 or so cells?

"mailrail" wrote:

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and not
the number that follows. How do I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have to use the activecell in the selected area in your formula. If you
write the formula correctly, then excel will adjust for all the other cells in
that selection.

What was the address of the activecell?
What was the formula you pasted?
What was in that cell?

If you answer those questions, you may get better responses.

"mailrail" wrote:

I was curious whether or not I could conditionally format a cell if it
contains part of what I'm wanting it to look for. In other words, my cells
contain either "W 14" or DDD 12", for example. I just need the cells to
change color based on whether or not it contains the "W" or the "DDD" and not
the number that follows. How do I do this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The active cell when you select a range of cells is the cell that comes up
in the name box above the header of column A. For instance if you click in
D7 and hold down the mouse button and select D7:D20 then D7 is the active
cell and you obviously have to replace any reference to A1 in the formulas
that were given to you with D7

Peo Sjoblom