Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Alphabetizing E-mail Addresses

I've looked around for this and couldn't find an answer. I'm trying to
alphabetize a list of e-mail address but want to do it by domain, so after
the @ sign. How can I do this?

Example:

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How about a helper column that finds the @ and places all to the right in
the cell. Sort by that col

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"timfear" wrote in message
I've looked around for this and couldn't find an answer. I'm trying to
alphabetize a list of e-mail address but want to do it by domain, so after
the @ sign. How can I do this?

Example:

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could rip the addresses apart with Data\Text to Columns..., sort by
domain and then re-assemble, but I suspect that's not exactly what you are
looking for, is it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a new column next to your email addresses and enter the formula

=MID(A1,FIND("@",A1)+1,LEN(A1))

in the first cell in that column and copy down as far as you need to go.
Then, sort the rows using that column as the sort key.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"timfear" wrote in message
I've looked around for this and couldn't find an answer. I'm trying to
alphabetize a list of e-mail address but want to do it by domain, so after
the @ sign. How can I do this?

Example:

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would add a new column into your spreadsheet with the following formula:

=MID(A1,FIND("@",A1)+1,10)

Where cell A1 is the first email address. Then copy this formula down. This
will then show the text after the @ and allow you to the sort this column in
the normal way.