Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Making single-use spreadsheets, akin to copyright?

Are there easy/any ways to take a spreadsheet and distribute it to individual
users that ensures those users cannot re-distribute it to other users
themselves?

If anyone knows any other implications of creating spreadhseets for
commercial use and distribution, I 'd appreciate hearing about it. I am just
beginning my research in this area...

Much appreciated,
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
no.
distrubuting a spreadsheet is like distrubuting a paper report. users can
make copies and pass them around. you have control so long as the file is in
your PC. but once the file has left your PC, it is public domain. years ago i
wrote a virus to delete all data in a file and direct users of contact the
file's creator for udated infor and every MVP that read my post jumped on me
with both feet. If you distrubute a file, then you have distrubuited a file
and it is public domain.

regards
FSt1

"Tom Mackay" wrote:

Are there easy/any ways to take a spreadsheet and distribute it to individual
users that ensures those users cannot re-distribute it to other users
themselves?

If anyone knows any other implications of creating spreadhseets for
commercial use and distribution, I 'd appreciate hearing about it. I am just
beginning my research in this area...

Much appreciated,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Makes sense to me. I did not think it would be doable...

I do see one other thread in this database where a commercial website is
offering s/w to protect the spreadsheet by transforming it into a .exe,
hiding all the formulas and associating the launch of the .exe to a unique
computer id. Still looking at it, I am unsure if it actually fool-proof or
not. User registration process seems to rely on user deliberately
associating the first launch of the .exe with their own pc but they could
leave it "open" to? www.doneEx.com. Anyways, I will continue to
investigate, feel free to throw in 2 cents...

Txs,
Tom