Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Original Workbook becoming Read-Only

I have a workbook that I open in the morning and leave open all day. I
always open the original copy, not a read-only version. However, in the
middle of the day I tried to save the workbook and it asked me if I wanted to
save a copy, as if my version suddenly became read only. Also, I tried to
open the same file on another computer (all our computers are connected to
the same network through a shared drive) and it didn't open as a read-only,
but as the original file. Any idea why this is happening? It is a real
problem because other files are linked to this original file, and I need to
save it constantly so we can update the other pages.

Thanks

Adam Bush
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

if it is left open all day, it probably got blipped by a stray power surge,
with the file closed right click on it and select properties. you should be
able to unselect read only.

" wrote:

I have a workbook that I open in the morning and leave open all day. I
always open the original copy, not a read-only version. However, in the
middle of the day I tried to save the workbook and it asked me if I wanted to
save a copy, as if my version suddenly became read only. Also, I tried to
open the same file on another computer (all our computers are connected to
the same network through a shared drive) and it didn't open as a read-only,
but as the original file. Any idea why this is happening? It is a real
problem because other files are linked to this original file, and I need to
save it constantly so we can update the other pages.

Thanks

Adam Bush

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks BJ,

Is there anyway to fix the problem without closing out of the workbook? The
problem is the workbook will have new information that needs to be saved and
it will be lost if the book is closed before saving.

Thanks

Adam Bush

" wrote:

I have a workbook that I open in the morning and leave open all day. I
always open the original copy, not a read-only version. However, in the
middle of the day I tried to save the workbook and it asked me if I wanted to
save a copy, as if my version suddenly became read only. Also, I tried to
open the same file on another computer (all our computers are connected to
the same network through a shared drive) and it didn't open as a read-only,
but as the original file. Any idea why this is happening? It is a real
problem because other files are linked to this original file, and I need to
save it constantly so we can update the other pages.

Thanks

Adam Bush

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

you can save it as the same name in the same folder. It will ask you if you
want to overwrite the document with the same name