Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Question

If I have a formula that looks like =D2/$D$4

What do the $ mean? If i remove them, the results stay the same?

Thx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The $ means an absolute reference. So, if you copy or drag the formula down
the column, D2 will increment for each row but $D$4 will not, so you'll get
=D3/$D$4 on the next row, and so on. The $ on the $D keeps the column from
changing. So, if you copy or drag the formula to the next column, you'll
get =E2/$D$4. James

"Kirk Bay" wrote in message
If I have a formula that looks like =D2/$D$4

What do the $ mean? If i remove them, the results stay the same?

Thx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Aug 30, 7:44 am, Kirk Bay
wrote:
If I have a formula that looks like =D2/$D$4

What do the $ mean? If i remove them, the results stay the same?

Thx

the dollor sign means the cell reference is relatative, meaning if you
were to copy & paste your formula to another location (or do a fill
down) the part of the formula "$D$4" would always reference the cell
"D4" if you remove the "$" then the relative cell reference will
change relative to where you are pasting it into.
examples of how your formula would look with the $ once you copy &
paste it (NOTE: for this purpose i am assuming your formula is in cell
"D8") by copying the formula to cell "H8" your formula would change
=H2/$D$4 thus cell d4 is still referenced in the equation, notice
though that the part of the eqaution without the $ has changed) now
copy & past but removing the $, the formula will change to: =H2/H4
thus referenceing a different cell.

hope this clarifies the difference