Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Window 2000 : How to protect a file from being deleted ?

Dear Sir,

My PC at the workplace is running on Window 2000 Professional OS.

I have Excel and PDF files saved under my personal and shared drive.

May I know is there a way to protect certain files from being deleted from
the drive unintentionally ?

Thanks

Low

--
A36B58K641

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In Windows XP you can right-click on a file (or a group of files) in
Explorer then select Properties and in the General Tab you can see
Attributes at the bottom of the panel - check Read-only then click
Apply then OK. Now when you try to delete a file you will get a
warning message - "Are you sure you want to delete the Read-only file
xyz...". Click Yes or No.

I'm sure you would have a similar capability in Windows 2000, though I
have never used it myself. It doesn't prevent you from deleting it,
just a warning message ...

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 29, 11:52 pm, Mr. Low
wrote:
Hello Bob,

Thanks for your info.

Low

--
A36B58K641

Mr. Low wrote:

Dear Sir,

My PC at the workplace is running on Window 2000 Professional OS.

I have Excel and PDF files saved under my personal and shared drive.

May I know is there a way to protect certain files from being deleted from
the drive unintentionally ?

Thanks

Low- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately, you may Delete the folder containing the "read-only"
file, and Windows will happily flush the whole thing in a heartbeat.

Pete_UK wrote:

In Windows XP you can right-click on a file (or a group of files) in
Explorer then select Properties and in the General Tab you can see
Attributes at the bottom of the panel - check Read-only then click
Apply then OK. Now when you try to delete a file you will get a
warning message - "Are you sure you want to delete the Read-only file
xyz...". Click Yes or No.

I'm sure you would have a similar capability in Windows 2000, though I
have never used it myself. It doesn't prevent you from deleting it,
just a warning message ...

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 29, 11:52 pm, Mr. Low