Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Shared workbook loses data

I have a shared workbook that is stored on a network, and is used by about 30
people. Each user has their own section of the workbook that they enter data
into. This workbook also has a before close macro that saves the file
everytime it is closed.

Every now and then, someone will enter data into the sheet, and when the
file is reopened the data will be gone. Does anyone have any idea why this
is happening and if anything can be done to prevent it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1. person A opens the workbook
2. person B opens the workbook
3. person B saves & closes the workbook with his/her changes
4. person A saves & closes the workbook erasing person B's changes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200740

"Chuck W" wrote:

I have a shared workbook that is stored on a network, and is used by about 30
people. Each user has their own section of the workbook that they enter data
into. This workbook also has a before close macro that saves the file
everytime it is closed.

Every now and then, someone will enter data into the sheet, and when the
file is reopened the data will be gone. Does anyone have any idea why this
is happening and if anything can be done to prevent it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your response.

If that is the case then what is the purpose of even having a shared
workbook? I'm surprised at just how little information I've been able to
find about exactly how a shared workbook works.

I really wish I had used a database!!!

"Chuck W" wrote:

I have a shared workbook that is stored on a network, and is used by about 30
people. Each user has their own section of the workbook that they enter data
into. This workbook also has a before close macro that saves the file
everytime it is closed.

Every now and then, someone will enter data into the sheet, and when the
file is reopened the data will be gone. Does anyone have any idea why this
is happening and if anything can be done to prevent it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response, but I'm using excel 2003. I still have only been
able to find one site on the entire internet that vaguely explains the actual
process behind saving a shared workbook.

Gary's Student wrote:
1. person A opens the workbook
2. person B opens the workbook
3. person B saves & closes the workbook with his/her changes
4. person A saves & closes the workbook erasing person B's changes

I just can't believe it is that easy for data to be lost.

If anybody can add anything to this, please do.

"Bob I" wrote:

Info here,

"Chuck W" wrote:

I have a shared workbook that is stored on a network, and is used by about 30
people. Each user has their own section of the workbook that they enter data
into. This workbook also has a before close macro that saves the file
everytime it is closed.

Every now and then, someone will enter data into the sheet, and when the
file is reopened the data will be gone. Does anyone have any idea why this
is happening and if anything can be done to prevent it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That is useful information, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. This is
how I think it works based on what I've found so far, maybe you can tell me
if I'm right:

1. When a user opens a shared workbook a temporary copy is placed on that
user's computer.

2. All of the user's changes are stored on this temporary copy until the
user saves the file.

3. Upon saving, all the changes are merged into the original.

If this is how it works, then I guess I can see how Gary's Student's
explanation would be correct. But this is such a common scenario it just
seems like excel would have some way to manage all the changes and prevent
data from being overwritten. Otherwise, having a shared workbook would
always be a crap shoot, and would basically be useless. Also, if the problem
is really that fundamental, you would think that it would be really common
and it would be pretty easy to find information on it.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but all I know is I have a reporting
system that keeps losing data and I have no idea how to fix it or even
explain to people why it's happening. All I can do is go to the user and ask
them to enter all of their data again which is really getting old for eveyone
involved.

I'm sorry if this post sounds like a bunch of complaining, but this is the
only place that I've gotten any feedback so far, and I'm getting kind of
desperate. I looked for a way to contact someone at Microsoft, but you have
to pay $49 just to send in an email.

Once again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Gary's Student wrote:
1. person A opens the workbook
2. person B opens the workbook
3. person B saves & closes the workbook with his/her changes
4. person A saves & closes the workbook erasing person B's changes

I just can't believe it is that easy for data to be lost.

If anybody can add anything to this, please do.

"Bob I" wrote:

Info here,