Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Microsoft Excel 2003 - chart - legend key

My charts are in B&W. I need to increase the size of the legend key to make
the pattern used in the legend clearer.

How can I do this please?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click on the legend, then either
a) use the font size box on the Formatting toolbar to increase the font size
or
b) use Format | Selected... and set the font to a large value
The legend keys increase to match the size of the text; and the legend box
automatically resizes to hold everything
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"paynedave" wrote in message
My charts are in B&W. I need to increase the size of the legend key to
make
the pattern used in the legend clearer.

How can I do this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

There are few two thing you can do.

You can either extend the Chart Area by stretching the corner handle or
extend the Chart Area and reduce the Plot area. Then stretch the Legend
handles accordingly.

-or

1. Click the Legend bounding box. The boundary box with eight black sqaure
are displayed.
2. Right-click and select Format Legend. The Format Legend dialog box is
displayed.
3. Click the Font tab.
4. Enter a Font name in the Font text box or choose a new font name the Font
list.
5. Enter a Font style name in the Font style text box, or choose a style
from the Font style list.
6. Enter a larger font size in the Size text box or choose a style from the
Font style list.
7. Click Ok to return to the Chart view.

Important : If you have deleted the legend from the chart area when you
right-clicked the legend, and click clear. then right-click the Chart Area
again and select Chart Options from the pop-up menu. Click the Legend tab in
the Chart options dialog box, and then select the Show Legend check box. Then
click OK to save and return to the chart view.

Challa Prabhu

"paynedave" wrote:

My charts are in B&W. I need to increase the size of the legend key to make
the pattern used in the legend clearer.

How can I do this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your help. I found the font size for the legend quite
satisfactory as set. In my opinion, the key 'sample' is too small in
proportion to the font size. I was rather hoping I could increase it whilst
leaving the font size as it is.

Regards.

"paynedave" wrote:

My charts are in B&W. I need to increase the size of the legend key to make
the pattern used in the legend clearer.

How can I do this please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear paynedave,

I have a similiar problem in Excel 2003 sizing the chart axis title boxes so
small that it chops off part of the title. I have tried resizing the chart,
changing the font, etc. and nothing worked. I don't know if this had
anything to do with it, but I had previously turned OFF cleartype fonts.
Since I have turned it back on, the problem on all new charts has not
reoccured. Here is how to re-enable clear type fonts:
Control Panel/Display/Appearance Tab/Effects Button then click the box
titled "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts" and select
"Clear Type". I have no idea why something like this would solve the
problem, but apparently, it causes the graph routine to use a different font
spacing algorithum. Good Luck! I feel your pain. I had 4+ hours into it
before I stumbled on a solution.