Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Workbook Sharing

My work group have several people that use the same workbooks on a shared
server.

On some of these workbooks I'd like program a reminder about certain tasks
that need to be done when working with worksheets within the workbook.

What would be the easiest way to do this for a group of people who are not
very computer savvy? I'm way ahead of them and I don't know that much.

Would I use some kind of macro to begin as soon as the workbook is opened?

Thanks.--
Sheryl
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just a suggestion.

I'd create a new worksheet that's an instruction/checklist sheet. Then the
users can print it and use it while working. After a bit of time, they may not
have to have the hardcopy and they'll just look at that sheet when they need it.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,

I've tried setting up workbooks where the first sheet is an instruction
sheet, but these folks won't go to the trouble of looking at it.

What I need is some sort of pop-up prompt to do certain things when they're
working with this workbook.

Thanks - good suggestion and I have tried it. Not only are these folks not
very computer literate, they fight me every step of the way to get them
educated. They won't even use the Help button - they'd rather ask me.
--
Sheryl

Sheryl wrote:

My work group have several people that use the same workbooks on a shared
server.

On some of these workbooks I'd like program a reminder about certain tasks
that need to be done when working with worksheets within the workbook.

What would be the easiest way to do this for a group of people who are not
very computer savvy? I'm way ahead of them and I don't know that much.

Would I use some kind of macro to begin as soon as the workbook is opened?

Thanks.--
Sheryl

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I do this kind of stuff, I'd walk over to the user (if possible) and tell
them to click on that other sheet and show them the answer.

If you make it bit painful to ask you, you may find the number of questions goes
down.

But maybe you could use a couple of techniques:

You could add notes to a cell using Insert|Comment. The user will be able to
see that comment when they mouse over the cell.

Or

You could add notes to the Data|Validation|Input Message tab
This will show up when the user selects the cell.
Make sure you allow any value (or what you want) in the Settings tab.

Or maybe...

You could add a column of hyperlinks in adjacent cells that go back to the
specific cell that contains help for that item.

I'd use the =hyperlink() worksheet function.

David McRitchie posted this and it might help you:

=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",C5),C5)
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",sheetone!C5),sheeton e!C5)
=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",'sheet two'!C5),'sheet two'!C5)

===
or maybe you could use Earl Kiosterud's technique of hiding the notes near the
user input. Then provide a way to unhide those notes.

Check out Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

===
You could create your own help (.chm or .hlp file) or use a technique from John
Walkenbach:

But if the user doesn't hit help for excel questions, they may not hit it for
your instructions, either.