Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Autofill keyboard shortcut

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to use Autofill with a keyboard shortcut? That
would be excellent. I think it's one of the few remaining reasons I have to
use the mouse in excel.

E.g. you select a column of text using the shift and arrow keys, then want
to autofil it across to the next column. Copy and paste works for simple
copies, but not it you want to extend the series (which you would have to do
with the drag handle in the corner of the cell)

Atreides
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Atreides,
If all you need is the final keyboard shortcut
Ctrl+R is fill to the right (Ctrl+D is fill down)
I really would not be able to do much without the mouse
even if I typed the range into the name box to the left
of the formula bar for a big sheet.

I've placed all of the keyboard shortcuts on one web page
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Atreides" <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote in message

Does anyone know of a way to use Autofill with a keyboard shortcut? That
would be excellent. I think it's one of the few remaining reasons I have
use the mouse in excel.

E.g. you select a column of text using the shift and arrow keys, then want
to autofil it across to the next column. Copy and paste works for simple
copies, but not it you want to extend the series (which you would have to
do
with the drag handle in the corner of the cell)

Atreides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David,

As far as I can tell, this only copies formulas from the cell to the
left/above - which is useful, but I can't get it to work for filling series.
Oh well.

Thanks anyway

Atreides

"David McRitchie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's the same as using the fill-handle, the active cell and the selection
have to be correct -- kind of hard to do without the mouse.
My page on fill-handle would probably be better than my shortcut page.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
but I'm sure you know what you want and have been doing it all along.
--

"David McRitchie" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Do the following:

1. Enter a value in a cell.
2. Click the cell to the right and press Ctrl+R
3. Right-click the Auto fill handle of the selected cell and drag down
downwards.
4. When to release the right button, a popup menu is displayed.
5. Click Fill Series and you will notice that all cell values are filled ina
series - incremental.

Challa Prabhu

"Atreides" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to use Autofill with a keyboard shortcut? That
would be excellent. I think it's one of the few remaining reasons I have to
use the mouse in excel.

E.g. you select a column of text using the shift and arrow keys, then want
to autofil it across to the next column. Copy and paste works for simple
copies, but not it you want to extend the series (which you would have to do
with the drag handle in the corner of the cell)

Atreides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As far as I can tell, the only options are via the mouse or the menu system. Clearly the mouse is not what you're looking for, so you can use keyboard shortcuts to control the menu system, but as you'll see, this is suboptimal due to the depth at which this option is buried.

1. Select the entire range you wish to extend the series, including the seed you've placed at the beginning
2. Enter the menu system: ALT
3. Select the Home tab: H
4. Select the Fill menu: FI
5. Select Series...: S
6. Select Autofill: F
7. Execute Command: Enter

atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote:

Autofill keyboard shortcut
22-Aug-07

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to use Autofill with a keyboard shortcut? That
would be excellent. I think it's one of the few remaining reasons I have to
use the mouse in excel.

E.g. you select a column of text using the shift and arrow keys, then want
to autofil it across to the next column. Copy and paste works for simple
copies, but not it you want to extend the series (which you would have to do
with the drag handle in the corner of the cell)

Atreides

On Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:18 PM
atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote:

Autofill keyboard shortcut
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to use Autofill with a keyboard shortcut? That
would be excellent. I think it's one of the few remaining reasons I have to
use the mouse in excel.

E.g. you select a column of text using the shift and arrow keys, then want
to autofil it across to the next column. Copy and paste works for simple
copies, but not it you want to extend the series (which you would have to do
with the drag handle in the corner of the cell)

Atreides

On Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:38 PM
David McRitchie wrote:

Hi Atreides,If all you need is the final keyboard shortcut Ctrl+R is fill
Hi Atreides,
If all you need is the final keyboard shortcut
Ctrl+R is fill to the right (Ctrl+D is fill down)
I really would not be able to do much without the mouse
even if I typed the range into the name box to the left
of the formula bar for a big sheet.

I've placed all of the keyboard shortcuts on one web page
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Atreides" <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote in message

On Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:10 PM
atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote:

Hi David,As far as I can tell, this only copies formulas from the cell to the
Hi David,

As far as I can tell, this only copies formulas from the cell to the
left/above - which is useful, but I can't get it to work for filling series.
Oh well.

Thanks anyway

Atreides

"David McRitchie" wrote:

On Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:05 AM
David McRitchie wrote:

It's the same as using the fill-handle, the active cell and the selectionhave
It's the same as using the fill-handle, the active cell and the selection
have to be correct -- kind of hard to do without the mouse.
My page on fill-handle would probably be better than my shortcut page.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fillhand.htm
but I'm sure you know what you want and have been doing it all along.
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Atreides" <atreides1AThotmailD0Tcom wrote...

On Thursday, August 23, 2007 6:30 AM
challaprabh wrote:

Autofill keyboard shortcut
Hi,

Do the following:

1. Enter a value in a cell.
2. Click the cell to the right and press Ctrl+R
3. Right-click the Auto fill handle of the selected cell and drag down
downwards.
4. When to release the right button, a popup menu is displayed.
5. Click Fill Series and you will notice that all cell values are filled ina
series - incremental.

Challa Prabhu

"Atreides" wrote:

WPF Custom Validation Using the Enterprise Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ation-usi.aspx