Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation to restrict blank value in adjacent field

Team,
Try this:
In cell A1, add following "custom" validation:
=not(isblank(b1))

As I see it, this should restrict leaving cell A1 unless cell B1 already has
a value.

I've also tried =b1<"" and some others. Should be simple but I can't get
it to work. Validation will not fire. For each equation I've tried, I've
cut and pasted the same equation into a field and it works fine.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your first works, so does your second. You just need to deselect "ignore
blank" in the setup dialogue box

Peo Sjoblom

"John S. Labarge" <John S. wrote in
message ...
Team,
Try this:
In cell A1, add following "custom" validation:
=not(isblank(b1))

As I see it, this should restrict leaving cell A1 unless cell B1 already
has
a value.

I've also tried =b1<"" and some others. Should be simple but I can't get
it to work. Validation will not fire. For each equation I've tried, I've
cut and pasted the same equation into a field and it works fine.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the data validation dialog box, remove the check mark from Ignore Blank.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Peo and Debra,
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

I'm just trying to understand this to forestall my embarrassment of such an
easy solution. I interpreted "Ignore blank" as "Do not fire the validation
in this field should you happen to be leaving this field while it is blank."
If one interprets it as such, this solution, while I see it works, shouldn't
make a difference.

Please explain how you two knew this.

Thanks again.

John S. Labarge wrote:
In cell A1, add following "custom" validation:
=not(isblank(b1))

As I see it, this should restrict leaving cell A1 unless cell B1 already has
a value.

I've also tried =b1<"" and some others. Should be simple but I can't get
it to work. Validation will not fire. For each equation I've tried, I've
cut and pasted the same equation into a field and it works fine.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In some cases, you may want blank cells to be ignored, so you'd leave
the check mark in the Ignore Blank option.

In your example, you want to check for a blank cell, and prevent an
entry in cell A1 if cell B1 is blank.
So, you turn off the Ignore Blank option so the data validation can test
for the blank cell.

John S. Labarge wrote:

In cell A1, add following "custom" validation:
=not(isblank(b1))

As I see it, this should restrict leaving cell A1 unless cell B1 already has
a value.

I've also tried =b1<"" and some others. Should be simple but I can't get
it to work. Validation will not fire. For each equation I've tried, I've
cut and pasted the same equation into a field and it works fine.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am sure I learned it through trial and error. I remember I thought I was
smart when I came up with this solution

=OFFSET(A1,,1)<""

which will work without deselecting the check box.

Then I found out about removing the check mark

Many people interpret it as though you can force a user to enter something
in the cell with validation if you leave it remove the check mark . Frankly
I don't think I even noticed it when I started using validation.

Peo Sjoblom