Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculate by Date

I need to make a formula that will multiply an amount in a cell by 25% if the
date in that row is within 6 months of todays date or multiply by 15% if over
6 months.

Thanks for all your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

.... misread your posting ....

=IF(MONTH(A1)=MONTH(TODAY())-6,B1*0.25,B1*0.15)

"Toppers" wrote:

=IF(MONTH(A1)=MONTH(TODAY())-6,B1*1.25,B1*1.15)

Date in A1
B1= value to be updated

(Depends how you define 6 months!)

HTH

"gregatvrm" wrote:

I need to make a formula that will multiply an amount in a cell by 25% if the
date in that row is within 6 months of todays date or multiply by 15% if over
6 months.

Thanks for all your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Six months past from todays date is correct, if it is off by a day it won't
matter. The third post from Toppers works except if I change the date in A1
the amount for B1 stays the same. When using Dukes code it askes for #NAME.
What could I be Doing wrong?

"Duke Carey" wrote:

what do you mean by 6 months?

Earlier than the same day in the month 6 months earlier, i.e., for today
that means 6 months ago was 2/16/07, even tho that was only 181 days ago. Or
do you mean 182.5 days ago, i.e., half of 365 days.

Also, what if last week the calculation yielded 25%, but when you opened it
today the passage of time changed it to 15%. Will that re-calculated &
changed result screw you up?

This will calculate the date 6 months ago - 2/16/07 for today - and compare
it to your other date.

=if(DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-6,DAY(TODAY()))<=comparison
date,.25,.15)*some value

"gregatvrm" wrote:

I need to make a formula that will multiply an amount in a cell by 25% if the
date in that row is within 6 months of todays date or multiply by 15% if over
6 months.

Thanks for all your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You didn't say future, past or both so in the past is assumed he-

=IF((MONTH(TODAY())-MONTH(A1)<=6),B1*0.15,IF(MONTH((TODAY())-MONTH(A1)6),B1*0.25))

Mike