Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan dan is offline

Default *HELP* Need a cell to return a column heading

Hello - I am in need of a formula to return the value from a column
heading.

A B C MAX REF
1 0 3 3
1 2 1 2
0 0 0 0
3 0 1 3
2 0 3 3
2 0 3 3
1 0 2 2
0 2 0 2
1 0 2 2

In the REF column, I would like to lookup the value from the MAX
column and return the correct column heading.

So for example, the first REF cell would find the number 3 and return
the answer C.
The second cell down would find the number 2 and return the value B.

Thanks for any assistance someone can provide!
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming that A, B and C are real headers that you put there and not the
built in column headers

=INDEX($A$1:$D$1,MATCH(D2,$A2:$C2,0))

copy down

this assumes you A is in A1 and the first data starts in A2

if there is more than one value that matches it will return the first
occurrence

Peo Sjoblom

"dan" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello - I am in need of a formula to return the value from a column
heading.

A B C MAX REF
1 0 3 3
1 2 1 2
0 0 0 0
3 0 1 3
2 0 3 3
2 0 3 3
1 0 2 2
0 2 0 2
1 0 2 2

In the REF column, I would like to lookup the value from the MAX
column and return the correct column heading.

So for example, the first REF cell would find the number 3 and return
the answer C.
The second cell down would find the number 2 and return the value B.

Thanks for any assistance someone can provide!
Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan dan is offline

On Aug 15, 12:12 pm, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
Assuming that A, B and C are real headers that you put there and not the
built in column headers

=INDEX($A$1:$D$1,MATCH(D2,$A2:$C2,0))

copy down

this assumes you A is in A1 and the first data starts in A2

if there is more than one value that matches it will return the first
occurrence

Peo Sjoblom

"dan" wrote in message

ps.com...

Hello - I am in need of a formula to return the value from a column
heading.

A B C MAX REF
1 0 3 3
1 2 1 2
0 0 0 0
3 0 1 3
2 0 3 3
2 0 3 3
1 0 2 2
0 2 0 2
1 0 2 2

In the REF column, I would like to lookup the value from the MAX
column and return the correct column heading.

So for example, the first REF cell would find the number 3 and return
the answer C.
The second cell down would find the number 2 and return the value B.

Thanks for any assistance someone can provide!
Dan- Hide quoted text -

Thank you so much!!
Dan