Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Ahh.. so frustrated - Web Query stopped working

Wondering if anyone came across a similar problem:

About a week ago, my automated web query decided to stop working, giving me
but the data is not available"

The query worked perfectly up until now, and I have not changed any Excel
settings. (Stranger still, it seems to do this to only certain sites,
including this one). I've rebuilt the query thinking that the website
changed, tested, re-tested and still, same error!

To give a bit of a background, I need to pull weather forecasts from
http://www.weather.com/weather/print/CAXX0504

I've scoured the net and seen similar messages - but seen no solutions...
I would be forever in gratitude for any pointers on this...

Update: I noticed something peculiar.. When I go to Internet Explorer and
try to use the "Edit" icon... it is disabled for weather.com! If we look at
say... theweathernetwork.com (another site i use) it is NOT. Is it possible
the site itself may be disabling the automatic data pulls?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Procedure 1:

Copy and paste static data or a refreshable query

You can use familiar copy and paste commands to bring the data from a Web
page into an Excel worksheet. When you paste Web page data into Excel, you
can keep the data static or make it refreshable by clicking Paste Options
and clicking Create Refreshable Web Query.

Procedure 2:

Query for data from a Web page

You can create or run a Web query (Web query: A query that retrieves data
stored on your intranet or the Internet.) to retrieve text or data on a Web
page. Web queries are especially useful for retrieving data that is in tables
or preformatted areas (tables are defined with the HTML <TABLE tag;
preformatted areas are often defined with the HTML <PRE tag). The retrieved
data does not include pictures, such as .gif images, and does not include the
contents of scripts.

Note:

If you retrieve data from a Web site, it is your responsibility to make sure
you use the data in compliance with any applicable terms and conditions
governing the use of the data by the owner and/or operator of such web site.

Procedure 3:

Refer to the topic on "Query for data from a Web page " in the Microsoft
Excel 2003 online help for the following:

1. Create a new Web query
2. Run a saved query

Challa Prabhu

"Bluepenguin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks - that is what I am doing though (I tried all 3, and seen these
instructions before) Problem is, upon each try it displays this message =
"The internet site reports that a connection was established