Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Microsoft Excel Cell text limits

I've seen a couple of messages related to this, but the issue I have
seems to conflict with what is supposed to be the technical limits of
Microsoft Excel

I am using Microsoft Excel and have a column of single cells with text
data. In most rows, this cell has less than 255 characters, however,
in a few cells I have a lot more characters.
Most of the cells with more than 255 actually have between 256 and
1024 characters. All these cells seem to only show hashes in the
worksheet view, although the full text entry is present in the formula
bar above the worksheet.
However, I also have a couple of cells which have over 1025
characters, which display perfectly fine.

So to sum up, cells with 0 - 255 characters display perfectly fine in
the worksheet view.
Cells with 256 - 1024 characters display 255 hashes.
Cells with 1025 and more characters (so far I've tested with over
2000) display perfectly fine.

I've read the display limit is 255, so if that's the case why does
over 1024 display normally as well?

Can anyone give me the definitive specifications and if it contradicts
the information I have above, why?

Thanks
Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are the relevant cells formatted as Text or as General?
Are they formatted to allow Wrap text?
--
David Biddulph

"Chris.Coops" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 13 Aug, 15:10, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
[...]

Chris- Hide quoted text -

Cells are formatted as text. It was set without Wrap Text, but setting
that option doesn't seem to work. However, once the number of
characters gets above 1024, the wrap text option seems to work again...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chris

Excel has a problem when the cells are formatted to Text and contain between 256
and 1024 characters.

You will get the ### pound signs.

Format to General and they will go away.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP