Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jfg jfg is offline

Default Indenting numbers from the right side of a cell

Hi,

I have Excel 2003.

I can indent numbers in a cell from the right by clicking Format Cells
Number Tab Custom and then typing in the Type box _). I have just found
out that typing 0_0 in the tye box will also indent numbers from the right.
Can someone explain to me the "logic" behind this?

Thank you very much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, jfg !

I can indent numbers in a cell from the right by clicking
Format Cells Number Tab Custom and then typing in the Type box _).
I have just found out that typing 0_0 in the tye box will also indent numbers from the right.
Can someone explain to me the "logic" behind this?

AFAIK, in custom number formats...
- the underscore end-character *uses* the lenght of the following character for right-indentation
i.e.: 0_| or: 0_@ or: 0_?

hth,
hector.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi, jfg !

Thank you very much, Hector. By the way, what is "AFAIK"?

it's an usenet acronym, meaning: As Far As I Know
another example: BTW = By The Way

see: http://silmaril.ie/cgi-bin/uncgi/acronyms

hth,
hector.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jfg jfg is offline

Thanks, Hector. That is a good site. I found AFAIK immediately.

The very best to you...

jfg

hi, jfg !