Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default compare Excel workbook column to another find same info

I have to worksheets the have of 3000 entries and I need to compare it to
another worksheet that has over 12000 and I need to find the same infor on
both is there a way to sort this out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Will,

What do you want to do with them when you find them?

For example you can count the number of times items in first
list appear in your second list like this,

Assuming
Sheet1 values in A1:A3000
Sheet2 values in A1:A12000

Put this in Sheet1 cell B1
=COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$1:$A$12000,A1)
And drag it down to B3000 (or just double click on the fill handle)

HTH
Martin

"willirwin" wrote in message
I have to worksheets the have of 3000 entries and I need to compare it to
another worksheet that has over 12000 and I need to find the same infor on
both is there a way to sort this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Your subject line says compare Excel Workbook, but the information in the
message box is about two worksheets. Is it worksheets in different workbook
or worksheets in a workbook.

If its comparing workbook, then

Compare workbooks side by side

1. Open the workbooks you want to compare side by side.
2. On the Window menu, click Compare Side by Side with.
3. On the Compare Side by Side toolbar do any of the following:

* If you want to scroll through the workbooks at the same time, click
Synchronous Scrolling .
*If you want to reset the workbook windows to the positions they were in
when you first started comparing workbooks, click Reset Window Position .

4. Click Close Side by Side to stop comparing workbooks.

Note:

If you open two workbooks, the command on the Window menu will include the
filename of one of those workbooks. For example, you open "workbook1.xls" and
"workbook2.xls". While viewing "workbook1.xls", the Window menu shows the
command as Compare Side by Side with workbook2.xls.

Important: If it is comparing betwen two worksheets in a workbook, then use
Autofilter on each worksheet.

Challa Prabhu

"willirwin" wrote:

I have to worksheets the have of 3000 entries and I need to compare it to
another worksheet that has over 12000 and I need to find the same infor on
both is there a way to sort this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What I am realy tring to do is compare/sort information. One column in each
worksheat has a lot of different data I want to find the same data in both so
I can compare the info in those rows.

"willirwin" wrote in message
I have to worksheets the have of 3000 entries and I need to compare it to
another worksheet that has over 12000 and I need to find the same infor on
both is there a way to sort this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the info.

I already knew how to do this. What I am trying to do is compare to column
from to different worksheets extract that info and then compare the rows from
the two diferent worksheets.

"willirwin" wrote:

I have to worksheets the have of 3000 entries and I need to compare it to
another worksheet that has over 12000 and I need to find the same infor on
both is there a way to sort this out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Will,

I doubt this will solve your problem but it may be a step in
the right direction.

In your second sheet in A1 put a text value, say a10 (no = or ", just
plain a10)
In B1 put this formula =INDIRECT("Sheet1!"&A1)
Then select ALL of your data in the target column and apply Conditional
Formatting
with Cell value is; equal to; =$B$1
and set the pattern to some color.

Now everything in your second sheet that is equal to A10 in your original
sheet
should be highlighted.

Change the value in A1 to say a327
Whatever is in Sheet1 A327
will now be highlighted in Sheet2

It will need some refining to get what you actually want but I think
it is the sort of path that you need to follow.

HTH
Martin