Rick Fabrizi

Default How do you find info in a workbook?

How do I find something (text, numbers, etc.) in a workbook with multiple
worksheets?

I am using Excel 2000.
David McRitchie

Hi Rick,
Question is ambiguous to me, as to presentation, and what etc. is.

You could use Conditional Formatting in each sheet
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm
to identify text with a color and number constants with a color

condition1: =ISTEXT(A1)
condition2: =AND(ISNUMBER(A1),cf_NotFormula(A1))

with Conditional Formulas the Function MUST be in the same workbook

Function cf_NotFormula(cell)
'based on http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...htm#hasformula
cf_NotFormula = Not cell.HasFormula And Not IsEmpty(cell) _
And Not cell.Row = 1
End Function

More information in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...m#withformulas

you can use GET.CELL as described in the topic after that, but it is not without problems.

---
HTH,

"Rick Fabrizi" <Rick wrote in message ...
How do I find something (text, numbers, etc.) in a workbook with multiple
worksheets?

I am using Excel 2000.

Earl Kiosterud

Rick,

If you mean find stuff manually, via Edit - Find, select the sheets first,
using the Shift or Ctrl keys as you click the sheet tabs.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Rick Fabrizi" <Rick wrote in message
How do I find something (text, numbers, etc.) in a workbook with multiple
worksheets?

I am using Excel 2000.

Rick Fabrizi

Hi David!

I know how to do a Find in a worksheet.

Is it possible to do a Find in a workbook that has multiple worksheets?

This would be for Excel 2000.

"David McRitchie" wrote:

[...]

David McRitchie

Hi Rick,
On Stephen Bullen's Excel MVP page
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

FindLink by Bill Manville would work
FlexFind by Jan Karel Pieterse would work better and is specifically designed for Find

Selecting all of the sheets and doing Find may be helpful but it really does
not work. Aside from the danger of forgetting you selected all sheets and
could permanently damage your file as any change to what you see is done
to all the other sheets in the selection as well.
--
---
HTH,

"David McRitchie" wrote:

[...]

Rick Fabrizi

Hi David!

Thanks a ton.

FlexFind does exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Rick