Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Working out other people's profit margins with Excel

Hi,

I want to work out how much agencies are charging us for temps. I want to
create a spreadsheet into which the user can enter the hourly rate the agency
is charging.

There will be three columns, headed as follows: 10%, 12.5%, 15%.

As you'd expect, the 10% column will tell the user how much markup the
agency is making if 10% of the hourly rate is made up by their fee.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? It feels like it should be simple, but
nothing I try works.

Cheers

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=Hourly rate *10% etc

So if %s are in B1, C1, & D1 and hourly rate in A2:

=A2*B1 will give 10% markup.

For 10$ an hour = 1$ fee

HTH

"Karl" wrote:

Hi,

I want to work out how much agencies are charging us for temps. I want to
create a spreadsheet into which the user can enter the hourly rate the agency
is charging.

There will be three columns, headed as follows: 10%, 12.5%, 15%.

As you'd expect, the 10% column will tell the user how much markup the
agency is making if 10% of the hourly rate is made up by their fee.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? It feels like it should be simple, but
nothing I try works.

Cheers

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wouldn't that get me 10% of the total fee. So if the fee is $20, the sheet
would show 10% as $2.

But what I want to know is: if the total fee is $20, and I know their markup
is 10% - how much is their markup in dollars?

"Karl" wrote:

Hi,

I want to work out how much agencies are charging us for temps. I want to
create a spreadsheet into which the user can enter the hourly rate the agency
is charging.

There will be three columns, headed as follows: 10%, 12.5%, 15%.

As you'd expect, the 10% column will tell the user how much markup the
agency is making if 10% of the hourly rate is made up by their fee.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? It feels like it should be simple, but
nothing I try works.

Cheers

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=Fee-ROUND(Fee/(1+x%),2)

Where x% is the markup

For 20$ this gives fee of $18.18 and markup of $1.82

Is this what you want?